Re: Windows Ten Confusion

Monica Jones

Yes, Matt, that’s for sure. I don’t mind paying for anything good, but I don’t always have the funds to do it after my food and bills have been paid. I don’t have lots of going-out money either. I’m trying to save for materials and stuff I want and need; it’s a slow process but it pays off. It doesn’t have to be instant gratification.

Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Windows Ten Confusion

Hmm, my blind Services here in Florida was just great! They even hire and mostly hire Blind people to teach. But yes nothing wrong with paying something reasonable but you have to realize most don’t have a job and the only income is something like SSI that is usually way below 1000 bucks a month to live on! So paying too much is not an option ! the first thing that comes is household things like : rent, or house payment, then lights and water and electricity and then trash and then some kind of phone and then your healthcare and food and so on . then things like internet service and so on . So there is not a lot you can do with usually way less than 1000 bucks unless you are staying with a parent that is footing the bill.

Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:24 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io

My impression is that training quality varies widely from state to state and from agency to agency.  High quality material, prepared well and distributed by a small business is worth the price.  People may not be able to afford or they may not want to pay it.  But it is a resource worth knowing about. 

I have no objection to free resources but I wouldn't assume that state agencies will provide the quality of training you can get from Access Technology Institute.  I expect that Hadley has good material as well and it's free.  If it were me and I wanted free material, Hadley would be one of the first places I would investigate.  If the person already knows Windows and knows something about Window-eyes, then podcasts done by blind people demonstrating Windows 10 may be all or mostly all that is needed.  I'll leave it to others to discuss such podcasts and where they can be found. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 12:57 PM

70 or 80 bucks for a book! To learn a screen reader and a OS! When there is lots of free help from list and all kind of resources.

This is the kind of thing the Blind services does. Here in Florida they the blind services has a branch that is part of them that does nothing but train people on computers and devices and brail and so on.  You don’t have to have a job! Or even be looking for one! The service is free. They also buy equipment for you if you are going to school or in a job and need help with it.

I sure there is other people on this list that would be willing to help for free! At least the basic stuff.

How far away are you from her? Are you near enough to go over and help her out?

I would really check out the blind services in her state! That is if she lives in the USA?

I don’t use windows eyes as my main screen reader. But use it enough to get around. Just started using W10 myself. It is a little bit of a learning curve.

How old of a person is this? How long has she been blind?

Has she thought about using the Demo of jaws? Or even buying the trial version which is a complete full version and you buy it for say something like three months or month. If she likes it they have a payment plan now FS does for you to get it.

She might also like NVDA better than WE has she tried it out?

Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 1:37 PM

If your friend is a member of Bookshare.org, then there are books that can probably help them there. It was a good resource for me when I was first learning iOS and Windows 7. I’ll most likely grab a book or two for whenever I have the need to use a Win 10 machine.

Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 10:27 AM

Does your friend want only free material or is she interested in paying?  Good material can be found at the Access Technology Institute site

It's somewhat expensive, however.  I think the book on Windows 10 and Window-eyes is about seventy or eighty U.S. dollars.

One place to look for free material is the Hadley School.  I don't know specifically what they have but it's a good place to check.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 5:50 AM

I have a friend who boughy a desktop computer with windows 10 and she
uses window eyes the free version with outlook express but she knows
nothing about windows 10 and hasn't ever used window eyes. Is there
any books on recording or someone that could help her learn this?
Thanks

On 11/18/15, Matt <matt.from.florida@...> wrote:
> You can do this if you are not doing a dual boot but if doing dual boot you
> will need sited help. You can use Carlos talking OS installer but just in
> case there you might still want to have sited help just in case.
>
>
>
>
>
>  <mailto:Matt.from.florida@...> Matt.from.florida@...
>
>
>
> From: Monica Jones [mailto:coffeegal57@...]
> Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 8:40 PM
> To: TechTalk@groups.io
> Subject: [TechTalk] Windows Ten Confusion
>
>
>
> Since everyone seems to be upgrading to Windows Ten without sighted
> assistance, I thought I might bite the bullet and try it too. I see an
> option in my sys tray that says upgrade, but I’ve had some say to get some
> kind of tool from Microsoft in order to do it. Thanks for advice and/or
> instructions.
>
> Monni, the coffee gal
> Twitter, @Monni52
>
> Facebook, Monica Rose Jones
>
>
>
>

Monni, the coffee gal
Twitter, @Monni52

Facebook, Monica Rose Jones

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.