Re: Is it still possible to upgrade to Windows 10 for free?

Steve Matzura

The best thing to do is perform a fresh install. Make sure you back up your system first, and can dip into that backup to pull out data you'll lose by following the procedure below.

Also, before beginning the actual install, be sure you have all the software registration information for any third-party products you may own and use. Keyfinder, the tool from Magical Jellybean, can help in this regard. Trouble is, I just tried to go there and get the URL to paste in here to download Keyfinder, and apparently their site has been compromised in some way because I can't get pqast the Malwarebytes warning screens. There may be other such tools.

Here's a short how-to to install Windows 10 from scratch. I didn't write it.

Install Windows 10 from scratch
Tip: Before you run this operation, make sure to backup the existing Windows installation so that you can restore it should things go wrong.

1. You need a Windows 10 DVD or ISO image. Make sure you pick the right architecture and version.E.G. if you have windows 7 pro installed, you need the ISO or DVD of windows 10 pro.  Tip:you can obtain the ISO or creat bootable media by using the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft.  Googleing that should get you the file.

2. Burn the ISO, mount it or extract it.
3. Navigate to the folder inside the ISO:

\Windows Disk\sources

And copy the file:

"gatherosstate.exe"

And paste it to the desktop. The file is located on the installation media you created.  This is why you have to extract all files from the ISO using a utility such as 7ZIP.
4. Run the file:

"gatherosstate.exe"

with administrators rights. It creates a file called:

"GenuineTicket.xml"

On the desktop. This file is needed so copy it to a USB drive or other location.
5 Run a clean install of Windows 10 afterwards on the system. Make sure you skip the product key.
6. Once you are done and in Windows 10, copy the file:

"GenuineTicket.xml"

To the following location:

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket

7. The folder may be hidden by default. If you cannot see it, select File > Options > View > Show hidden files, folders and drives in File Explorer.
8. Reboot your PC.
The next time you boot into Windows 10 it should be fully activated. You can verify that easily with a tap on Windows-Pause. This opens the System Control panel and the system's activation status at the bottom of the page.

On 12/17/2019 11:40 AM, Peter Spitz wrote:
Could someone please give me instructions on how to do the upgrade? I
couldn't find anything on Microsoft's website.

Thank you!

On 12/17/19, Joseph Lee <@joslee> wrote:
Hi,
Yes - free (at least for now). A few weeks ago we had a discussion on a
Windows 10 forum and the answer is that it is possible to upgrade for free
(at this time).
Cheers,
Joseph