Re: turning off adblockers for certain sites

Troy Burnham

Thanks Gene, I will give this a try maybe tomorrow.

Troy

On 12/29/2019 7:08 PM, Gene wrote:
As far as working with the specific extension, that is, whether you can set it to not function on specific sites, I don't know. 

I can tell you how to disable it so you can use the site, then enable it again.  I downloaded two extensions so I could work with them.

First, they are extensions, not add-ons.  Chrome doesn't have any add-ons.  Extensions are similar but I don't know if there is a technical reason that something is called an add-on or an extension.  What I said of add-ons is true of extensions.  They aren't separate programs and you must work with them in the program they are used with.
To disable the extension do the following:
Open the single main menu in the following way:
Hold alt and while doing so, type f. 
Then, when the menu opens, type l.  That will open and place you in the more tools dialog. 
Down arrow to extensions and press enter.
Start tabbing. 
You will get to something that will say something like details for, and then name the add on.  You will see things related to it if you continue to tab.
One thing you will see is an item that says extension enabled.  Press the space bar.  It is now, as far as I can tell, disabled, but the text continues to say extension enabled.
Chrome shows almost everything as a web page.  Because you are now on a web page, do whatever you want to do as though you were in any web page.  In this case, you want to open the site.  Do so as you always do.  Once finished, enable the add-blocker again by following the directions above.  When you get to the extension enabled button, press the space bar again.  The extension is now enabled.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2019 5:58 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] turning off adblockers for certain sites

It isn't a program.  Task Manager would show you the list of running programs but it doesn't apply in this case.  Did you see my message from this morning?  Add-ons are not separate programs. They are small programs that run in something else like a browser and add functionality.  they don't show up as separate programs.  You have to control them from within the specific program they are in. 

Gene 
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2019 3:59 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] turning off adblockers for certain sites

Is there a way in windows 10 to find the names of running programs? As I said I don't know the name of the adblocker I'm running, just that I'm pretty sure I found it on the monthly software list from this list. Without knowing the name I have no way at least that I know of to get to it and open it. It's not listed in the add/remove programs section.

Troy

On 12/29/2019 7:38 AM, Gene wrote:
I haven't worked enough with add-ons in Chrome to tell you how to work with them.  But add-ons in any program are found in the program itself, not in Windows areas such as programs and features.  They are things you add to the program itself, add-ons, as the name says.  Thus, if you want to remove or disable an add-on in NVdA or Chrome, you work with the actual program itself. 

Knowing that will allow you not to waste time looking where you won't find them.

Gene
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2019 9:03 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] turning off adblockers for certain sites

Hi all,

Sorry I don't remember what adblocker I'm running and I can't find it in
the list of programs on my laptop, but I know I got it from the
suggested software list that is automatically sent from this list monthly.

I have a site I want to access, it's ustvgo.tv, but the site tells me
that I need to disable my adblocker. Can anyone help? Btw I'm running
windows 10 and my browser is google chrome, and I'm running the latest
version of jaws 2019 if that matters but I also have the latest NVDA
installed. The person who told me about this site said that it does run
well with google chrome.

Troy

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.