CD racecar?

Damien Garwood <damien@...>

Hi guys,
When I put a certain CD into my drive, it spins up, but doesn't seem to want to settle.
I've experienced disks that struggle to read, and spin up and down. Ordinarily, the disk will spin up and remain at a (more or less) steady speed. This one just spins up, and up, and up...
Back in 2000 or 2001, I experienced a CD shattering inside a drive, and that was without any warning at all. No unreasonably fast spinups, no grinding noises, just a standard spinning hiss and then...Bam! So needless to say I got very shaky when this CD started wanting to sound like the world's fastest racecar (for those musically knowledgeable, the pitch was around A3 by the time I quickly hit the eject button, the fastest I've heard it spin before would be about B2, and that's only when burning a CD).
Has anyone else had an experience like this? If so, did it settle down at some point or did it just keep going until it shattered...Or didn't you risk allowing it to go that far!
Cheers.
Damien.