Re: contacting UPS with no package info

Gerald Levy

You can sign up for a free subscription to UPS My Choice and still receive email notifications about the status of your wshipments.  You can also specify delivery instructions, like deliver to front door, but this is no guarantee that they will be followed by the driver.  Unfortunately, UPS drivers have become lazy slackers who no longer go out of their way to deliver packages to the front door.  If nobody is home, they'll just leave the package outside, where it can be easily stolen.  And even if you are home, many drivers won't bother to knock or ring the doorbell.  They'll just drop the package in front of the door or outside the front gate and bolt off.  According to a recent article in the New York Times, about 20,000 packages aare stolen every day from the various delivery services, which is mind boggling.  If you live in an apartment building, UPS drivers now routinely leave all packages in a central repository like a storage room or with a front desk concierge in the lobby.  They will no longer deliver to your front door, no matter what explicit instructions you provide.  You can complain to their customer service till the cows come home, but you will get nothing but a polite run around.  You can't even speak to a manager or supervisor because you will always get disconnected. And if your package is delivered via UPS Sure Post or the similar Fedex Smart Post, then you have something else to screw up your delivery: the US Postal Service, which makes the actual delivery.  If the package is small enough, it will be delivered to your mailbox by the regular route mail carrier.  But if the package is too large to fit in the mailbox, then a different mail carrier will deliver it and like the UPS driver, leave it outside your door without knocking or in a central location, if you live in an apartment building.  If you don't receive your package. you can count on UPS/Fedex to blame the Postal Service and vice versa.  It's just one big mess. As soon as I receive a tracking number from the delivery service or merchant, I immediately start tracking my package.  On the day it is supposed to be delivered, I refresh the web page with the tracking history every 30 minutes so that I know exactly when my package has been delivered.  Because I live in an apartment building, all packages, regardless of delivery carrier, are left in a storage room in the basement.  If the super isn't around, the packages are left outside the storage room, where anyone can steal them.  So as soon as I receive confirmation that my package has been delivered, I rush downstairs to the basement storage room.  Ifthe the package is not outside, then the driver had the key to the storage room and left it safely inside, and I don't have to worry about it being stolen, and the super will bring it upstairs to my apartment when he gets around to it.

Gerald

On 1/3/2020 10:17 AM, Robin Frost wrote:
Hi,
The only way I think you can specify drop off location specifically on your property is to subscribe to UPS My Choice. It's an annual subscription around $45 a year but it allows you to automatically upgrade sure post packages I.E. ones that pass through UPS but finish their journey through your mail carrier to UPS all the way which usually gets it there a day earlier.  You also get more detailed tracking and as I said you get to specify where on your property  they leave the parcel. It's no guarantee of course but it can ehlp with such matters. Though as you did indicate the presence of a sign indicating a dog on the premises perhaps that is why the driver simply left it inside the gate and didn't proceed any further. That's not to say that there aren't times when drivers are just lacks heaven knows I've had my share of incidents with Amazon Logistics but such a sign could give people in such industries pause and I can understand why.
Other things I use to mitigate such situations are the use of package tracking apps such as Parcel App and Parcel Track to alert me in a reasonable amount of time that a package has arrived. Then using Aira to locate it can also come in handy.
I hope that helps.
Robin

-----Original Message----- From: Troy Burnham
Sent: Friday, January 3, 2020 10:11 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] contacting UPS with no package info

Hi all,

I need to contact UPS to see if there's any way they can make a note to
have the delivery person knock on the door when something is delivered
but I'm not expecting anything in the near future so I don't have any
tracking numbers. When I called the toll-free UPS number this morning I
wasn't able to talk to a person because none of the options the
automated system gave me applied, does anybody know any way I can
contact them then or am I going to have to wait until I order something
again and have a tracking number?

A package was delivered last night, and since we have a fence with a
sign on the gate about a dog being on the premises the item was just
dropped inside the gate and it happened to be raining. It's just a good
thing that the shipping package was plastic so the item wasn't hurt.

Troy