Up arrow on the number pad is numpad 8, which reads the current line in review which, if the review cursor hasn't moved from the current location, should work similar to NVDA+up arrow in desktop layout or NVDA+L in laptop layout.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 3:02 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I don't use Excel, but why NVDA plus up arrow?  That command moves you to the higher level object.  I would think just up arrow on the numpad is what you are discussing, which reads the current object.

Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2020 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] reading a Microsoft excel sheet letter by letter

As well as Howard's method, which will move through the whole cell contents, with NVDA, you can press NVDA+up arrow twice quickly (or if using laptop keyboard layout, NVDA+L twice quickly) which will spell the current line (press just once to read the text rather than spell it) - so you can read the first line within a cell without going into edit mode - names and phone numbers are probably only on one line each.

Quentin

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 12:33 PM Howard Traxler <htraxler7@...> wrote:
When I need to do that, I go into edit mode (F2), then I can left and
right around in the field. When finished with that cell, I press enter
and realize I'm on the next row.  So, if I'm not finished with the
original row, I have to up arrow to get back to it.

Howard

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager