Re: Dectalk cable, what is the phone jack end called

Kay Malmquist

Please understand that this is an old message but here is the info that I found.  I have a couple DecTalk Expresses around here and I use them every day.  The message follows.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Osborn [mailto:mike.osborn@...]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 11:17 PM
Subject: [boughtandsoldbytheblind] DecTalk Express Cable and Connector

Last February I did some research into locating such things as the cables,
connector, and battery pack for the DecTalk Express.  I had real good luck
on the cables, but the battery pack has turned difficult at best.  First the
good news and I am copying a couple of folks who requested this specific
Cable supplier:
The primary cable for the DTE is generically called an MMJ to MMJ, but
carries a DEC part number BC16E.  The part is usually ordered as a BC16E-10,
-25, or - whatever, where the "-XX" indicates the length in feet. Stonewall
Cable uses a part number is SC-7021 and then you tell them how many feet you
want it to be.  I chose to get a 10 foot.  The pricing is $5.50 plus 20
cents per foot, ergo a 10 foot cable was $7.50. Next we have that funky
little connecter that you can't buy at Radio Shack. Generically this is
called an MMJ to DB-9F.  The DEC part number is  DEC H8571-J and the
Stonewall Cable part number is SC-9444-J.  The price on this piece is
$12.95. Shipping is whatever you want, but I like and they will provide USPS
Priority Mail at the reasonable rate of $7.85 (this was last Feb.).

I was going to order up a batch of cables and connectors, but when no one
found an immediate need last Feb. I dropped the idea.  It's probably just as
well that each person handle there own.  Stonewall takes credit cards and
their phone number is toll free 800-525-3303.  I loved there internet order
form, but I also have the benefit of a couple of eyes.

If I come up with a reasonable solution to the battery problem I will send
it out.  $115.00 plus shipping for the battery pack is outrageous.  By the
way, your savings by using Stonewall will be about $44, where authorized
DecTalk suppliers are quoting $50 for the adapter and $14 for the cable.

Mike "Mr. Frugal" Osborn

Kay Malmquist
No matter where you are, no matter how difficult things might appear to be, you are always being moved toward magnificence. Always.
Rhonda Byrne
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2020 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Dectalk cable, what is the phone jack end called

Good morning Kay and Wayne.  Kay, if you figure out what that jack was called I would be grateful because there is a company here in the Inland Northwest that I think can manufacture a cable for me that would do the trick.  Wayne, if you find that old cable, I have 10 bucks that is burning a hole in my pocket.


From: <> On Behalf Of wayne
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2020 9:49 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Dectalk cable, what is the phone jack end called


Years ago when I use to have the tech talk external  I purchased a cable for it that's much longer than the one that comes with it. I have to go through my mass of cables, since I think I have it. If I find it I'll let you know, and sell it to you for $10. This cable is new. if you have any questions just ask.





----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2020 7:10 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Dectalk cable, what is the phone jack end called


Thanks Monte.  That’s a shame.  I should probably check with my old friends who I know to have drawers full of old cables and electronic relics from the 1980s


From: <> On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2020 7:06 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Dectalk cable, what is the phone jack end called


As I recall, it was a proprietary cable; the rj45 type end was not standard, it has a sort of offset to it.

Good luck.


From: [] On Behalf Of Steven Johnson
Sent: January-19-20 8:52 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Dectalk cable, what is the phone jack end called


One of my buddies is sending me a Dectalk external to have some fun with, but it has no cables.  I seem to remember that the cable that connects it to the serial port on the PC has a 9 pin female on one end, and a phone jack kind of RJ45 looking plug for the Dectalk.  I know that the Dectalk end was smaller than the RJ45, but bigger than a phone jack.  I’m trying to find a cable to hook up the Dectalk.  What is the name of the end that fits the Dectalk?  RJ11 or RJ12 maybe?  Thanks.

Join to automatically receive all group messages.