Re: windows 7 in general.

Ibrahim Gucukoglu <igucukoglu@...>

Hi
Yes, Windows seven is no longer supported according to the Microsoft product life-cycle. There has been plenty of media coverage about this in the various online computer channels and you can find out more information on Microsoft website. as for the security essentials, I believe it is still being maintained as the database used by Security essentials is not dissimilar to Windows defender however that being said I don’t think you can count on this to protect your machine as many security Vulnerabilities and exploits are in the kernel of windows itself rather than viruses which Windows defender/Security essentials is focused on protecting against. Hope this makes sense.

On 23 Jan 2020, at 03:04, Monte Single <mrsingle@sasktel.net> wrote:

Please be aware that Micro Soft is still supporting micro soft security essentials for WINDOWS 7.
So, it is incorrect to say that windows 7 is no longer supported by micro soft.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ibrahim Gucukoglu
Sent: January-22-20 8:19 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] windows 7 in general.

Hi Veronica
Firstly, I’d like to extend a warm welcome to everyone :-) I am a newcomer to the list although I have been on this list previously I think but sometime ago so hello again everyone :-) Veronica, Windows 7 is now no longer being protected by Microsoft security updates and patches. This will leave it open to critical security flaws which hackers may exploit. My strong recommendation is that you upgrade your laptop to Windows 10 at the earliest possible opportunity, using the Windows 10 media creation tool. You can still upgrade your Windows laptop for free as Microsoft have kept this option open long past its intended expiry so please take advantage of this while you still can. Word 2013 should work on Windows 10 however you can purchase an office 365 subscription which will cover all your computers and mobile devices and which will give you office Versions going forward, including updates and feature improvements. Office 365 personal edition can be had from as little as $60 on market places such as Amazon and can be digitally downloaded and installed without the need to enter any cereal or license key information. It is also available in retail packs. Very best of luck to you.

On 22 Jan 2020, at 22:11, Veronica Kirk <veronicaa.kirk@gmail.com> wrote:

Even though I have a windows 10 computer, I am still using my windows 7 laptop. Last night I used Microsoft Essentials to scan the computer for viruses, and it worked fine. All of my main programs are on the windows 7 such as Microsoft Word 2013, which I do not have on the windows 10.

Veronica