From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Abbie Taylor
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2020 2:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] JAWS Versus NVDA

I've been using NVDA for a couple of years, but I'm wondering if it's time for a switch. Lately, the software update process has been driving me up the wall. Apparently, the latest version, due out soon, will not be compatible with some of the software's add-ons, including the text-to-speech voices I use. This is no big deal because there are other voices that will work. But I've purchased some I really like that may not work with the new version of NVDA, at least not right away.

Another annoyance NVDA users are experiencing is add-on updates that are only compatible with the new version of NVDA, which isn't out yet. To me, it would make more sense to wait until the new version is released before releasing the add-on updates. But what do I know? I'm not a software developer.

I realize that NVDA is free, and I'm getting what I pay for. I recently read that Jaws costs only $90.00 a year for a subscription, which includes several licenses. So, I'm wondering if it's worth that much.

Those of you who use Jaws, what are the pros and cons? If you've used NVDA and are now using Jaws, do you think it's better? Is there a demo I can try before I buy? Thanks in advance for any input, and happy computing.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...