Windows 10 microphone help needed

Steven Johnson

Good day everyone.  I have a headset from Dragon NaturallySpeaking with a microphone on a gooseneck attached to it, plugged into the computer with a 3.5 mm jack.  I have had trouble with low levels from the mic although the microphone volume in sound settings is cranked up to 100%  When I looked at my input device under sound settings, my microphone is shown as “line in,” with no choice for a microphone.  When I unplug the microphone from the computer and plug it back in, Windows doesn’t ask what kind of device I am plugging in like it did back in the Windows 7 days.  My problem is that of low sound levels from the mic, and I am wondering if my computer thinks that my mic is a line-in source.  Any thoughts are appreciated.