Re: the VIP thermostat

andy.tidwell

Hello Mike what I mean about locking the thermostat is locking the up and down buttons for turning the air or heat up and down because when people come in they want to set the heat or air to there liking and the only way I know what it is set on is to check it after they leave. The thermostat seams to be doing ok if people would leave it alone.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 11:45 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] the VIP thermostat

Hi Andy,

The only way I know of is to run the thermostat in manual mode, all programs turned off, but you would have to switch from AC to Heat manually which you have to do anyways.  But, let's say you wanted to have the stat on 75º, and if your cycle / split rate is at 1, 2, or whatever you wouldn't stay at a constant 75º anyways, it'll always fluctuate according to the cycle / split rate.  It's better to have the, economically speaking anyways,  cycle / split rate set on, 2, to give a combination of comfort and not kicking the system off / on too often.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 7:46 PM

Hello Mike, I have a question for you. Is there any way to lock the temperature so it can’t be changed ? I haven’t found anything in the book about that feature.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 10:01 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi Troy,

It definitely takes being able to see to change the cycle / split rate.  Do you have the manual or CD that came with the thermostat?  I can send you steps, but if I were you I would choose the cycle / split rate to be set at 2.  I explained the using a 4 split, but the default is supposed to be 2.

Below is a direct Dropbox link for a folder with several notes I've made  along with the files from the book and CD that come with the VIP thermostat.

Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 3:52 PM

Mike,

Can we adjust that without professional help? Meaning do we need to call the company that installed the thermostat and have them do this?

Troy

On 1/29/2020 3:38 PM, Mike B wrote:

Hi Troy,

It sounds like your cycle / split rate needs to be looked at.  This controls when the AC or Heat starts & stops.  If your set thermostat temperature is 75º for the AC and the split rate is set at 4, then the AC will start when the room temperature is 2º above set temperature and shut off when the room temperature hits 2º below set temperature.

For heat, if the Thermostat is set at 75º and split rate is 4 the heat will come on at 2º below set temperature and shut off at 2º above set temperature.

Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 12:28 PM

I had my thermostat installed by a guy who works at an air conditioner
installation company because I figured he'd know how to do it.

I forgot to mention in my original note that we also looked up the
jumper switch settings in the manual and made sure they were correct.

Troy

On 1/29/2020 11:41 AM, Peter Spitz wrote:
> I've had my VIP 3000 for over three years and haven't had any problems
> with it.  I wonder if yours was installed improperly?   I paid an
> electrician to install it and he had to rewire something to get it to
> work properly but it does work flawlessly after the professional
> installation.
>
>
>

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.