Kindle and third party book suppliers

Walter Ramage

Hi All.  This inquiry is on behalf of a sighted friend.  I don't have a kindle and have no desire to own one so have no knowledge about their specs.

My friend owns an old Kindle, one of the originals I think.  At the moment she can purchase from Amazon kindle books and download them to her device and if she comes across any book from another supplier she can copy it to her kindle.  Her daughter got a new kindle but it would appear the newer kindles will only allow the download of books from the Amazon Kindle store.  Is this correct?  Is there any current Kindle device that allows placing books from third party providers onto a kindle device and if so, which models.  Any help will be appreciated and I'll forward any response to her.  With many thanks.  Walter.