From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Samuel Wilkins
Sent: Monday, February 3, 2020 4:20 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Sluggish Boot on Windows 10

Hello Gene, I have a hibernate option in my shutdown options, so I think to save on power, I'll use that and shutdown.  I've also set it to hibernate after a certain amount of time not being used, so I can turn off power and back on again.  Thank you for your help.

On 02/02/2020 11:56, Gene wrote:

I'll discuss different approaches you may want to take to eliminate the inconvenience.  Some may be obvious, some may not, or you may not want to do them.

I don't know what might cause the problem.  Of course, you can shut down and turn the power off as you found.  I'm not sure how Windows presents options in the shutdown dialog these days.  If there is just a hibernate option, you should be able to shut off power.  But if it is a sleep/hibernate hybrid, don't do it, And never in sleep.  In other words, if you are going to turn power off at the socket, unless you are sure you are in hibernate, or you have fully shut down, don't do it.

You shouldn't have to deal with the problem often.  You should be able to leave the computer running for a while without starting to get performance problems.  How long may depend on how you use the computer and perhaps on things I don't know about.  But you can experiment or just try a good amount of time such as four days or five days.  You may shorten or lenghthen the time, depending on results.  You don't even have to bother turning off the power.  When you reboot, do it at a time of day when you are doing something else like eating or going to bed or something else.  If you reboot the computer often, such as daily, that is unnecessary.

Or, if you really want to reboot daily, or shut down daily, you may do so, leave the power on and not bother turning the power off, and boot again when the delay won't matter because you will be doing something else.

And let's say you want to reboot when you intend to use the computer, such as when installing a program.  Shut down, turn the power off, as you found solves the problem, then boot after turning it on again.

In short, you could try to solve the problem but doing so at this point my be disruptive and waste enough time that you may just want to leave things as they are.  It can be easily and conveniently worked around.

Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2020 2:47 AM

I have a solid state drive that's 5 years old this year.  I use another hard drive for my data.  I don't think it's that, because if I remember to turn off the power at the plug and turn it back on, it seems to work fine.  I tried the suggestions on the websites you sent Gene, and my drivers are up to date and fast boot is disabled.

On 02/02/2020 00:28, Abbie Taylor wrote:

How old is your computer? It may need a new hard drive. I had a new one installed on my old computer three months ago when it was slow to start and had other issues. Now, it's as good as new. You also might want to check programs that run on start-up to see if they're slowing your computer down. Good luck.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

--
Regards,