Re: having a weird issue

Gerald Levy

Okay, gang.  Here's what GHacks Technology News has to say about the broken Windows 10 search box issue that users on this and other lists have been reporting:

Need another reason that current web search integration is bad in Windows 10?

‎Today, ‎February ‎05, ‎2020, ‏‎6 hours ago | Martin BrinkmannGo to full article

Reports are coming in that search is not working properly on many Windows 10 devices; the issue is different from the recent File Explorer search issue that users experienced and are still experiencing to a degree.

Basically, what is happening currently is that the search interface is entirely black and that searches don't work at all on affected systems. The problem, it appears, is not caused by users or administrators, but by Microsoft.

Microsoft made the decision to interweave Cortana, the digital assistant, and search when it released the operating system. While Cortana and Search have been untangled, Microsoft decided to integrate and improve web search functionality in recent versions.

Search in Windows 10 returns offline and online content by default. Local search works pretty much like it did back in Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, online search displays suggestions for the most part.

Microsoft may change search functionality remotely on Windows 10 machines, e.g. to adjust settings or other parameters without having to release a Windows update that does that. That's useful in theory, but not so much if remote issues cause search to stop working at all.

One would think that local search would continue to work if Windows 10 could not connect to remote servers or if some other form of remote connection does not work as expected; this is apparently not the case.

Affected users may want to use third-party search applications such as Everything or one of these desktop search programs to restore search functionality.

Windows Latest suggests that disabling Web Search on affected Windows 10 systems and rebooting the system restores search functionality as well on affected devices.

windows
          10 web search

Here is how you do that:

  1. Use Windows-R to display the run box.
  2. Type regedit.exe and hit the Enter-key to start the Registry Editor.
  3. Confirm the UAC prompt.
  4. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
  5. Locate BingSearchEnabled.
    1. If the value does not exist, right-click on Search in the tree hierarchy of the left sidebar and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value. Name it BingSearchEnabled.
  6. Change the data value of BingSearchEnabled to 0.
  7. Locate CortanaConsent.
  8. Double-click on the value and set it to 0.
  9. Restart the PC.

The change worked on one test PC that was affected by the issue.

The issue is not the first search issue of Windows 10. Microsoft broke search in 2017 in the operating system and Windows 10 version 1903 had several search bugs as well.

Gerald

On 2/5/2020 3:05 PM, Mary Smith wrote:
I'm having the same issue.

On 2020-02-05 2:23 p.m., Melissa wrote:
I need help with the same problem.

On 2/5/20, aisha <2001.aisha123@...> wrote:
for some reason I'm unable to access my start menu

I have to go the long way round to open what ever I want to open (this
is just today, and I have tried restarting too)

pretty sure this has happened to me before, and when it did i'm sure I
pressed a key/ key stroke to fix the whole thing.

but I don't remember what it is

thanks for any assistance

aisha