Re: Low-Cost Braille Displays

Josh Kennedy

I own both the orbit reader and the braille me. On the orbit reader the dots show up propperly all the time. It uses  modified cell phone vibration micro-motors to move the dots up and down. Editing on the orbit reader is excellent. It is quiet enough to use in a meeting or church service. The braille on both the orbit reader and the braille me that I own feels like elevator door braille, ATM machine signage braille, hotel room door braille, or bathroom signage braille. It is signage-quality braille on both low-cost displays. The braille me is $531 from www.atguys.com or national braille press. The orbit reader costs more at $600 and also add $10 shipping for both displays. The braille me is also good, and quiet. The orbit reader sounds like somebody shuffling cards quietly when it refreshes. The braille me refreshes its dots all at once with its electromagnetic display technology and it sounds like somebody walking on gravel or small rocks very quietly and quickly. The display being behind the keyboard furthest from you on the braille me does not give me any issues. I like reading with both of them. Sometimes a dot won't pop up. A light shake or tap fixes this or holding the display at a slight angle. I think this can be fixed with firmware update that will send repeated 3 or 4 electric pulses to the electropermanent magnets of all 120 dots making sure 3 or 4 times that dots that need raised are raised and dots that need lowered are lowered. But the very occasional dot not popping up on the braille me is so very occasional it does not bother me at all. The braille me has a clock and calendar you set using the cursor router button and left navigation keys. And I like that it has on-board braille translation but the orbit does not have on-board braille translation. Also the braille me supports more languages out of the box. I love both displays and recommend both of them!!

Josh