Re: 6 dot braille label maker

Gene

First, you made a general statement in your previous message, not applying to this situation, specifically.  They may be breaking the law in this specific instance. 

Second, you are making general statements that are unsupportable because they are general where such generalizations can't correctly be made.  Braille is and will always be the best way to look something up?  What kind of Braille, paper Braille or computer Braille.  No sighted person would say that a print book is anywhere near as efficient to look something up with as a word processor document or a web page or an Internet search. 

With Braille, just as with print, the point is what you use to look something up, not whether it is Braille or print.  You can read the results using a Braille display with a computer or listen with speech.  They are both fast and there is little, difference, there may be a slight difference at times, such as checking the spelling of a word if you are checking the spelling to learn it for yourself.  It may be faster often, to use a Braille display for this purpose. 

But you simply can't maintain that paper Braille can compare in efficiency even remotely, to using a computer. 

Obviously, the serial number should be in Braille.  Braille should be available for those who want it.  You don't know how many people want it and a company can, rightly, make this optional if they tell people that Braille is available.  its obviously cheaper to have material available in a computer document.  I used the example of an audio file not because it is the desirable format, but to demonstrate that the law isn't dictatorial or specific.  Reasonable is the important word.  and reasonable doesn't dictate how something id done, other than that it is reasonable.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 6 dot braille label maker

Heather is right if you can't use audio then yes they do have to provide braille they just don't want to comply with the ada they just want to take the easy out because they are lazy and don't care how would they feel if one day they find themselves blind and they can't get braille.  For us it's always just use audio or go on line but the sighted have print but we are denied the writen word when braille is the best sulution for blind people.  Just try to look somthing up on an audio cd or find it on line.  Lets not forget that some people don't have unlimited data if they do have internet.  There is just not only one sulution that is best for everyone but to them there is.  Braille is and will always be the best way to look somthing up just as sighted people use print.  Try telling sighted people to just use audio or go on line.  Not everyone has on line access.  aAny company that sells products for the blind and refuses to provide braille should be ashamed of themselves and should be forced to by law.

Brian Sackrider

On 2/13/2020 2:24 PM, heather albright wrote:

I think it is a reasonable accommodation  as I am considered partially deaf blind and I do not get a lot of things threw audio. One of the reasons I was given a electronic braille labeler was because I have mussel weakness and needed a way to use braille. It was noted that, I do not use audio so I needed away to have braille as an alternative instead of say, a pen labeler that uses audio or the hand held labeler which my mussel weakness prevents me from using. I cant use that stupid prescription audio thing, I have to label all my stuff by hand!  So knowing this, how can I be given a medical device, as they coded it, without braille! Is that not why the social security was ordered to provide letters in braille format! I think it falls under the same thing. Heather

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 12:17 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

I doubt any law mandates that something be made accessible in that specific a way.  If it is accessible because a document is given that you can use, PDF or otherwise, even an audio file, I think that would satisfy the law.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:02 AM

Well, I was given this device by my insureance provider threw mobility and seating. They purchased it from a rehav place which know one has bothered to tell me wich one. So I called Logan  tec up in Dallas who wanted to send me to a site to download the pdf file. I insisted I get a embossed braille coppy. They are the original makers of the device which is currently sitting on my desk till I get the manual for it. I can only turn it on but, that is all I know how to do. I know what the different parts are but, do not know how to operate it. I am still waiting for my insureance to tell me where exactly they purchased the device from. I hope to get my manual tomorrow. I was thinking, if they bought a device under the medical laws, does the section508 law apply. I was not given materials in my format when I received it.  I will not bother my NFB chapter about this, do not think they would care here, sie! Cheers Heather

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 7:34 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

I agree! When our nfb chapter meets next month, I will bring this

up for discussion.  Braille will never die! We will not let it. 

It is the quickest way for us.  It is faster than speech if you

already know it.  You should not have to open an app and aim a

camera that may not read it.  I was not aware that Roger can

braille the manual for his items.  But I am very happy with

Roger.  He puts the serial number in braille on the box.  He

works harder than HumanWare.  But if these agencies claim that

they sell products for us, then they should follow through and

not do half their job.  The product should definitely come with a

braille manual and serial number.  Thank you.

Jan

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.