Re: so 32 or 64

Howard Traxler

Sorry, I think this answers my last question.  Thanks.

On 2/17/2020 7:56 PM, Gene wrote:
To be colloquial as you are, Yep, I knew you weren't no geek varment.

The reason for the Programs X86 folder is because if a 32 bit program is in that folder, a 64 bit version of Windows knows to run an emulator so 32 bit operations are translated into 64 bit operations and relayed to Windows in usable form.  So the program isn't actually running in 64 bit Windows per say, but operations in the program are made accessible to 64 bit Windows.

Gene.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2020 7:26 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] so 32 or 64

Hi.  I am glad for any input. i had no idea you could run a 32 program on a 64 machine; but then, you knew I wasn't a techie from the get-go.

On 2/17/2020 7:25 PM, Gene wrote:
You can run 32 bit programs on a 64 bit machine but you can't run 64 bit programs on 32 bit machines.  I'm not sure what you mean about which to access and why you would want to change the names of some items on the desktop.  The user doesn't have to do anything.  32 bit programs will run without additional actions.

Sent: Monday, February 17, 2020 2:31 PM

Well, you geniuses have both said the same thing. and I can't thank you
enough.

I'm going to get this in writing. Best, Penny