Re: accessing system volume information on Windows 7

Vicki W

Okay, since no one seems to understand that I want exactly what I asked for, access to system volume information, let me try again and show you the instructions I have which have always worked before.

I need access to the system volume information folder. First I show protected files and folders which works fine. Then I use the following instructions and get an access is denied message, even though I am doing it as an administrator. Here are the directions, which, as I said, have always worked before.

Instructions:

Using CACLS with Windows XP Home Edition Using the NTFS File System
In Windows XP Home Edition with the NTFS file system, you can also use the
Cacls tool, which is a command-line tool, to display or modify file or
folder
access control lists (ACLs). For more information about the Cacls tool,
including usage and switches, search the Help and Support Center for
"cacls."
List of 5 items
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. Make sure that you are in the root folder of the partition for which you
want to gain access to the System Volume Information folder. For example, to
gain access the C:\System Volume Information folder, make sure that you are
in the root folder of drive C (at a "C:\" prompt). To check this, once you have typed cmd and pressed enter, then type cd\ and press enter again.
3. Type the following line, and then press ENTER:

cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F
Make sure to type the quotation marks as indicated. This command adds the
specified user to the folder with Full Control permissions.
4. Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to
open it.
5. If you need to remove the permissions after troubleshooting, type the
following line at a command prompt:

cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /R username
This command removes all permissions for the specified user.
list end