locked Re: New Smart Flip Phone?

John Dowling <1008jmd@...>

Hi everyone:
I am totally blind, and have been since birth.
Gerald, what your saying is just, bazar...
Of course blind people can use a phone without buttons.
After the introduction of the iPhone 10, apple implemented a way for VoiceOver users to go to the home screen, and app switcher.
I went from an iPhone 8 to an iPhone 11.
Don't forget about the 2016 macbook pro with its touch bar which apple also made accessible with VoiceOver.
I'm not an android user, but I'm sure companies like Samsung have made ways of making there phones accessible with services like TalkBack and that other screen reader samsung themselves developed.
if you can, I would suggest going to your local apple store and checking out the new phones. There really easy to use once you get the hang of sliding up to go home instead of pushing buttons.
then again, maybe since I'm so used to change, I really don't think about stuff like that lol.

John.

On Feb 20, 2020, at 10:01 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io <bwaylimited@...> wrote:

I suspect that many "blind" consumers who use smart phones that are completely devoid of tactile buttons are not really "blind" at all, but visually impaired and retain some funtional vision to navigate around a touchscreen.  Those who are totally blind and purport to use a touchscreen smart phone probably had a lot of sighted help. Which is why smart phones with tactile keypads like the BlindShell and Smart Vision have been introduced. So I'm looking forward to hearing about the experiences of a totally blind consumer using the new Samsung smart flip phone.

Gerald

On 2/20/2020 9:41 AM, Gene wrote:
Your statement about buttons is inaccurate based on discussions I've seen on this topic before.  Most smart phones already had very few buttons, and, as for the elimination of the home button on the I-Phone, while I can't speak from personal experience, I've seen enough comments on lists like this that the button's elimination doesn't mean blind people can't use the phone.  Evidently, the screen simulates the presence of a button by vibrating.  I'm not saying I definitely understand the situation and I await other comments but how many people have you seen say they stopped using an I-Phone because of elimination of the home button?

You often state the worst case interpretation of situations.

Gene