locked Re: New Smart Flip Phone?

Gerald Levy

These specialized phones are manufactured overseas by obscure companies that do not have proven track records, so it is difficult to predict their reliability.  I have checked the warranties of the BlindShell and Smart Vision phones, and they are pretty vague about obtaining repairs.  My impression is that the customer would be responsible for sending a malfunctioning phone  back to the manufacturer at his own expense, because these companies apparently have no repair facilities in the US, only national distributors.

Gerald

On 2/21/2020 8:25 AM, Gene wrote:
We'll see if you are right about repair difficulty from other comments.  regardless, depending on the abilities of the phones and the wants and needs of the user, such a risk may be worth it if you can get information about the general reliability and sturdiness of the phones so you know what you are getting and whether it is a good gamble.  A well made phone, either feature or smart phone, that is well treated will last for years without the need for service for most purchasers.  My first feature phone lasted for about seven years.  It was a well made phone and that may be well within most peoples' experience of how long phones typically last if they are well cared for.  I have a friend whose feature phone lasted, as I recall for nine or ten years, maybe longer.  That is my impression, that for most users, a well cared for, wel made phone will last for years.  We'll see if others support my impression.  There are times when a gamble is worth taking.

Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 6:09 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] New Smart Flip Phone?

And the Smart Vision 2  is also expensive and made by an obscure company
that provides little information about getting it repaired when it
breaks, which it invariably will at some point.  Ditto for the
BlindShell.  This is the dirty little secretabout specialized phones
designed for blind consumers.  Nobody wants to acknowledge the fact that
getting them repaired could be difficult to impossible, which, to me, is
unacceptable when you are spending hundreds of dollars.  The warranty
isn't worth the paper it is printed on.  How many blind consumers are
going to send their precious Smart Vision or BlindShell to the Czech
Republic or some other overseas destination for repair and then wait
weeks to get it returned?  Bring it in to Best Buy and hope Geek Squad
can fix it?  I don't think so.  Just ask anyone who was screwed over by
Odin Mobile and got stuck with a phone that is now serving as a
paperweight.

Gerald