From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 12:27 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] New Smart Flip Phone?

 But the big problem with full size keyboards  is that they
are not very portable.  But even if you could carry one
around in a briefcase or backpack, it would not be very
practical to use in the street.  you would have to sit down
on the sidewalk and place it on your lap.  Or maybe drag
along a a rolling desk.  I would prefer a phone that could
be operated completely by voice commands, but there are
apparently no longer any such inexpensive 5G compatible
animals like the Samsung Haven and Gusto 3.  I know all
about Siri, but I'm not about to spend $1000 for an IPhone I
would keep on hand mostly for emergencies.  am I am also
hearing impaired and wear hearing aids, so I won't even go
into the problems of hearing clearly on a smart phone in a
noisy environment. And I am familiar with blutoot hearing
aids, which cost $8000 a pair or more and can connect
wirelessly to an IPhone, but these are not suitable for all
types of hearing loss and besides,  are way out of my price
league right now.

Gerald

On 2/21/2020 12:02 PM, Holly wrote:
Gerald:

I have an Apple Magic blue tooth keyboard.  It is light
weight and
portable, and the keys are large enough to accommodate
locator dots.

Of course, it would not be practical to walk and use it.

Also, with a smart phone, you have access to sighted help
anytime with
apps like 'Be My Eyes' and AiRA.

There are many text to speech scanning apps, money
identifiers, color
identifiers.
Apple also has a free app called Seeing AI, which does
many amazing
things to help blind people.  Even can read handwriting.

I was very reluctant to switch from my flip phone to a
smart phone,
but after taking the plunge, I never looked back.  I am 75
years old,
so no spring chicken either.