Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] accessing system volume information on Windows 7

Hello Vicki,

Were you able to get access to the system volume information folder under windows 7?

I ran windows 7 for many years and did lots of things under the hood, as it were, but I never had occasion to run the CACLS tool.

One thing you said confuses me.  You said you got an access denied message even though you were doing this as administrator.

By that, did you mean that you followed the instructions as they are listed in your email while being logged into an administrator account? if so, try the following.

It has been a long time since I had any dealings with XP, but in windows 7 there are two levels of the command prompt (cmd) regular and elevated.exe) If you haven't already done so, try the CACLS command from the elevated command prompt. Here's how.

1.  Click start.

2.  Type cmd in the search box.

3.  Right click the first result.

4.  Choose the run as administrator option.

5.  Run the CACLS tool per your XP instructions.

Hth,

George

On 2/19/2020 12:44 PM, Vicki W wrote:

Okay, since no one seems to understand that I want exactly what I asked for, access to system volume information, let me try again and show you the instructions I have which have always worked before.

I need access to the system volume information folder. First I show protected files and folders which works fine. Then I use the following instructions and get an access is denied message, even though I am doing it as an administrator. Here are the directions, which, as I said, have always worked before.

Instructions:

Using CACLS with Windows XP Home Edition Using the NTFS File System
In Windows XP Home Edition with the NTFS file system, you can also use the
Cacls tool, which is a command-line tool, to display or modify file or
folder
access control lists (ACLs). For more information about the Cacls tool,
including usage and switches, search the Help and Support Center for
"cacls."
List of 5 items
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. Make sure that you are in the root folder of the partition for which you
want to gain access to the System Volume Information folder. For example, to
gain access the C:\System Volume Information folder, make sure that you are
in the root folder of drive C (at a "C:\" prompt). To check this, once you have typed cmd and pressed enter, then type cd\ and press enter again.
3. Type the following line, and then press ENTER:

cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F
Make sure to type the quotation marks as indicated. This command adds the
specified user to the folder with Full Control permissions.
4. Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to
open it.
5. If you need to remove the permissions after troubleshooting, type the
following line at a command prompt:

cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /R username
This command removes all permissions for the specified user.
list end