From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ann Parsons
Sent: Friday, March 6, 2020 8:15 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] warning if you doing business

Morning all,

Several points have been made in this discussion, but I want
to concentrate on Dave's assertion, and his amusement.

Dave, let me explain something to you. Stop being grumpy
and listen.
There are people in this world who actually need braille,
not prefer it, or desire it, but actually need it. These
are our friends who are DeafBlind. They cannot use any
audio materials spoken by either human or synthetic voices.
They need braille.

Second, RE the matter of Free Matter for the Blind. I would
not want equipment of any kind shipped Free Matter because
it takes so long to ship and also because it is treated like
third class mail, the potential for damage is great! I
don't think you can ship computers Free Matter. It has to
be something specifically designed for the blind, not
something that is available to all.

Now as to instructions sent with equipment for the blind,
many companies which sell material specifically designed for
the blind do, not, ship, accessible instructions with their
products!! They don't ship large print. They don't ship
braille. They don't ship audio, nothing accessible, only a
printed pamphlet! This is unconscionable!
A person who is blind should receive instructions in some
kind of accessible format, period! It could be an audio CD,
or a braille hard copy or a braille file, but something!
Instead, they ship their products with printed instructions,
expecting the blind person to be able to access them
somehow. Roger Behm is the *only* businessman I know of who
ships accessible instructions and manuals without being
asked. I had to get sighted help to label a calculator for
a student because the company which sent the thing didn't
bother including accessible instructions.

Ann P.