From: brian
Sent: Friday, March 6, 2020 12:01 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] warning if you doing business

aAmen if you don't braille than you are not truly literate. If you
doubt this then read emails from blind people who don't know braille
there spelling and gramar and punctuation leave alot to be desired. I
have been there myself if I don't read then I to will fall in to trap as
well. If you truly want to be literate then you just have toread and
not just listen to audio. Those of us who do prefer braille and would
rather read than listen have only audio as the option all to often. For
me if I want to stay literate then I have to read braille and as I said
in my email to Grumpy Dave I can't amagine my life with out braille. I
have had braille most of my life and I would loose independence ifI were
to not know braille. Reading braille is active reading but listening to
audio or computer speech is just passive reading. I prefer to activly
read but most of the time I can't because it's audio only. I do rember
haveing to cary volumes of braille books acrost campus at the blind
school but I never gave it a though it was just what I hav to do it was
no problem for me at all. The campus at the Michigan school for the
blind in Lansing Michigan covered a 4 city block area. I tried college
back in 1987-1988 and I could have donee much better if I had braille.
I had tapes from recording forthe blind but I had issues with the
readers with pronouncations. I remember taking test and what I heard
during the test sounded nothing like what I heard on the tapes. If I
would have had my books in braille I would have known the correct words
and the tests would have made sinse. If yur going to read on tape then
you must be able to speak properly and say your words properly. There
was the issue of only tape at a time and having to send 2 copies of
every book to recording for the blind to be recorded. Audio is usless
if I don't know what you are saying. This is why we need braille.
Braille readers don't make a big deal of how many volumes a book is it
just is.

Brian Sackrider

On 3/6/2020 7:26 AM, chris judge wrote:
This is true. There is a huge difference between not learning braille if
you've lost your site later in life. The unfortunate fact is that even
people who are blind since birth are not learning braille at the rate they
were when I was a kid 50 years ago. If you are blind since birth and you
don't learn braille you miss out on basic literacy. How do you learn
proper spelling, grammar, punctuation and such if you don't learn braile.
If you have had site you already understand these things so knowing
braille isn't as paramount.