Re: spell checker

Peter Spitz

Brian:

Maybe you could type more slowly and then proofread your messages
before you send them out?

On 3/7/20, brian <bsackrider55@...> wrote:
People on this list and on other lists have told me to use
a spell checker and thats all they say. They did not give me any
options or tell me whear to get oneor how to use one. I don't have
microsoft office. What is a good spell checker that works with nvda?
Just telling me what I should do but not providing with out anyhelp
information does me no good and is not helping me at all. I have not
taken any computer classes what I know I have learned on my own. It
seems that people are all to willing to tell me what I should do but
don't give any helpful sugestions. I know that I do need help and I do
want to make mymessages more readable. It's not that I don't care I
just don't know what to do about the problem. It is true that if I
write to fast than I will make lots of mistakes. The same is true if I
write in braille. I do get very slopy if I write to fast.

Brian Sackrider

On 3/7/2020 12:13 PM, Gene wrote:
You are making unsupported statements. How do you know Brian has
learning differences? How do you know he was coasted through school?
I'll offer an alternative explanation. I'm not saying either are
correct nor am I saying which one may or may not account for observed
phenomena better. But how do you know that some or many of these
errors are not the result of someone feeling strongly about something
and rushing to get the message written as quickly as possible? If
Brian is typing far above the speed at which he types more accurately,
that may result in some of what is observed. And, since I've seen
messages from Brian that don't have all these mistakes, I'll consider
my theory to be a possibly better explanation, since I don't know
Brian's background and I think it is absurd to infer some sort of
learning differences based on a few e-mails.
But none of this, learning differences, spelling difficulties, a rush
to type as quickly as you can to get your message out as fast as
possible, none of these possibilities precludes the use of a spell
checker.
To this point, I have been writing as a list member. I am now writing
as the list owner.
This discussion has been very interesting and we know more about each
other than we did, thus helping build community on the list. But if
the discussion becomes mostly one of how messages are written, I'll
close it. I realize that you and a few others may want to respond to
what I and others have said but this part of the discussion shouldn't
continue for more than a few more messages.
Now, I'm writing as a list member again.
Brian, I would think it may be uncomfortable seeing your writing
critiqued. But keep these things in mind and you may find the
experience useful:
My view is that if I expect someone to spend the time reading my
messages and thinking about them, I have a certain responsibility to
make them reasonably readable. In your case, many people probably
have to stop to review phrases where words are written together
without spaces. Because I've seen messages from you that are much
better written, it appears to me that if you get emotional about a
subject, you rush to write what you want as quickly as you can. the
result is errors that make your messages difficult to read, such as
words written together with no spaces.
As to spelling, in general I would just let that go. But when you
call a whole class of people illiterate, then don't use a spellchecker
and have misspelled wordafter misspelled word, then, like it or not,
you become part of the discussion. Like it or not, literacy is partly
sending a message without perhaps thirty or forty or more misspelled
words. And nothing precludes you from using a spellchecker. As I
said, in general I wouldn't comment on spelling, but it is inevitable
that at least a few people will when you accuse people of being
illiterate and don't use a spell checker, resulting in a great many
misspellings. It's as though I attended a cooking contest, made a
speech before the event in which I said that with frozen dinners, no
one knows how to cook anymore, then I burned the soup and my main dish.