From: brian
Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2020 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] warning if you doing business

    I am glad that some of you got to learn the opaton I was not so
lucky.  It would be like reading braille in that you are reading how
words are spelled.  When I was at the rehab center I wanted to learn it
but I was told that I was not learning fast enough.  This has been my
experience even in school that if I did want to learn a new skill I was
told no.  Teachers don't want to teach.  When somone does want to learn
but teachers refuse to them thats a big problem.  I have always that I
did need to learn new skills becausing the ways that they were teaching
me did not work.  When it came to learning math they only tought the
abacus and that is not real math.  my teacher told that it does not
teach math concepts and it is not the way that math is done by every
else.  He told me that sighted peopleadd from right to left but it is
left to right on the abacus.  The only thing that the blind school tough
well was braille.  At the rehab center I wanted to learn how to use the
gas stove and eletronic mobility devices but I was told no.  I also told
them that I need to learn how to travel in areas with out sidewalks
because that was my town was like at the time.  I have always that I
have had alot of deficenties in my education and in other skills but i
always got told no you can't learn that.  Thats the story of my life
teachers that don't care to teach me the things that I need to know.
They didn't care if I learned anything or not.  We don't all learn the
same but they just can't understand that.  What works for you may not
work for me.  I don't understand why teachers don't want to teach somone
who does want to learn.  It would be one thing if they did try to teach
me and I did not want to learn but that was not the case.  Both the
blind school and the rehab center were a big joke a total waist of my
time I did not learn very much as I should have.  I think that reason
that I am so highly opinionated about braille is that was the whole
focus of blind school.  We had to read and write in braille and
everything that we needed to read was in braille.  We had to read
braille and not listen to audio books it was all braille and noaudio at
all.  I atended the Michigan school from age 5 to age 21 and I have been
totally blind from birth.  All of our text books were inbraille as well
as books for book reports.  They could be about almost anything except
romance books.  We were strongly encouraged to read for pleasure not
just for our school work.  They toughtto highly braille over audio.  We
were encouraged to read braille and not just listen to tapes.  If you
were totally blind then braille was what you had to read not learning it
was not an option. If you did not want to do your work in school then
you would have to stay after school until you did even if itmeant
missing your next meal.  The importance of braille was always stressed
and that is so neccessary for your independence.  You can read whear and
when ever you want.  You can write down what ever you wantto or need to
read later.  You can play games with sighted people read just for fun
and school or work.  I have said how braille let me be more active in
church with out braille I would not have had that.  I will never
understand how blind people can say that they don't want to learn
braille. Perhaps it's because they did not atend a blind school like I
did for most of my life.  Braille has given me a much fuller life than I
would have ever had with out it.  I would never want to have audio as my
only option and all of this high tenology can and does fail and it's
often very expensive.  If you lived in a totaly braille world for most
of  your life but it's an almost brailleless world than you might
understand whear I am coming from.  We now live in an almost brailleless
world but if I had my choice we would have just as much braille as the
sighted have had print.  This would be the ideal world for me this would
be just perfect.  There would be only braille and no other formats.
There would be no need for any audio or computer speech because
everything would be in braille just like at school.  Braille will always
be the very best thing that has ever been invented for the blind nothing
elsewill ever compear to  it or be as good as it is.  Nothing will or
can ever replace paper braille not now and not ever.  No audio or any
technology we don't need any of it we need only braille paper only.  The
only thing that wouldeven come close would be if we could all have
optacons and have teachers that would teach us how to read print that
would be exceptabl.  If we had optacons we could read anything that is
not in braille.  We would still be reading with our fingers and not with
our ears. The optacon would be a close second to braille.  as you know
by now I will always prefer toread with my fingers and not my ears. I
have to listen rather than read because thats all there is that might be
your preferance but it's not mine. We should all have the right to the
format of our choice and not be forced to one thats not.

Brian Sackrider