locked Re: Blindschools shelter their students and don't prepear them for the sighted world

jan howells <gale7978@...>

When I switched to public school in ninwh grade, I, too, had culture shock. I cried a lot. I cried myself to sleep, and woke up in the middle of the night and cried myself back to sleep. I thought that I would never make it. The good thing about school for the blind is that everything was at my fingertips, and I did not need help. I hated term papers with a passion. I would fall asleep listening to the tapes for history, science, and English literature. My favorite subject was Spanish, because I had my foreign language and math in blr. But the social skills were learned in public school.

Jan