locked Re: fake out!!

Victor

Hi everyone:

I can’t tell you how many sided people I have encountered over the years who have mistakenly assumed and believed that a blind person could never be physically attracted to a member of the opposite sex because we can’t see. They assume that physical attraction only comes through eyesight. How wrong they are! I have to tell them that we can become physically attracted to someone through the sound of their voice, their smell and their touch. That nun your parents spoke with was only thinking what most cited people think. It really had nothing to do with her religious restriction. It’s a common misconception held by the sighted world.

As for learning differences/disabilities, there was a nun by the name of mother Angelica. As a child, she had a learning difference/disability which educators helped her overcome. She went on to found the eternal word television network which is the largest Christian media ministry. EWTN produces television programs, radio programs websites and publishing. Mother Angelica was recently given a posthumous honor in Alabama alongside Rosa Parks and other notable women from Alabama. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Catholic Church canonized her someday. She is just more proof that people with learning challenges can go on to do great things. She always said that she appreciated dumb people and dumb Saints because she knew they could do great things. She said that the secret is to trust in God and surround yourself with people who are smarter than you. If you ever get a chance, look up mother Angelica on YouTube. She’s one of the best Christian evangelists ever. Just my opinion.

Blessings,

Victor

On Mar 8, 2020, at 2:14 PM, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@roadrunner.com> wrote:

Hi Group,

As long as we're into this intense discussion about the nature and purpose of education/life/existence, I thought I would add a little levity to the discussion.

My very Catholic family knew a number of clergy when I was a little boy. When I went blind at around twelve years old, I overheard my mother being counseled by a nun. One of the things she said was: "Well, I know this must be very difficult to deal with (having a blind child) but think of it Ann, you won't have to worry about his teenage years--you know--maturity--having sex before marriage--and so on.

This nun must have thought in her relatively restricted environment that blind people wouldn't be sexual or involved in all that evils stuff.

(SOLID CAPS) IF SHE ONLY KNEW...!

On 3/8/2020 4:04 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

With all the discussion today, I thought I would share the story of a friend of mine. I won't share his name because that would not be wise. However, I tell this story to emphasize the fact that everyone should be encouraged to do his or her best!

This friend of mine is fully sighted. He was labeled as having severe learning differences. When he was in Middle School, the head of the special Ed dept. of his school told his parents that "I'm so sorry, but we just don't think your son will amount to much because of his learning difficulties.".

Needless to say, his parents took him out of that particular school and enrolled him elsewhere. They also employed me to tutor him. I worked with him for a couple of years.

My student and friend graduated from high school, Community College with honors, Rochester Institute of Technology with honors. He is currently working in a managerial position in a company here in Rochester, earning six figures! He is happily married and his wife is expecting! They own a house!

I would just love to stand in front of that Special Education twit of an administrator and just say, "Fake out, you bastard!!" That would give me extreme pleasure!! My friend is soccessful, in whatever way you measure success!

So if somebody tells you that you won't amount to much, thank them and then prove them wrong!!

Ann P.
--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"