Re: New Computer Components

Monte Single

I had a new p c built in  Maarch of 2013.  I chose the same ram and c  p u    as Joseph suggested, Because of higher prices at that time I went with a 120  gig s s d.  I have all the usual software like win 7, full office 2013, n v d a, win eyes, jaws demo, a couple of good o c r packages and a bunch of utitities.  By keeping my downloads folder  empty  every month or so I usually have 60 gig free space. I have a 2 t b SATA  drive for storage. It is really quiet and boots in 10 to 11 seconds.

Today I would go with a larger s s d or maybe even two in RAID.

Later,

Monte

Sent: November-22-15 6:00 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] New Computer Components

Hi Joseph,

Wow, thank you very much for all these recommendations!  Also, I thought I was running a Realtek soundcard but, here's what I got from the device manager:

Driver File Details
High Definition Audio Device
Driver files:
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\drmk.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\HdAudio.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\portcls.sys
C:\Windows\system32\SysFxUI.dll
C:\Windows\system32\WMALFXGFXDSP.dll
Provider: Microsoft Corporation
File version: 6.1.7601.18276 (win7sp1_gdr.131003-1533)
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

I do apologize for speaking ignorantly of the Realtek soundcard.

Take care.
Mike

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2015 2:08 PM

Hi Mike,

I use a Realtech sound card built into a Gigabyte motherboard and it keeps equalizer settings (unless if you reinstall the driver).

One good thing about recent AMD processors is that they include a good CPU and a decent GPU (graphics processing unit) into a single package. Intel is quickly catching up to AMD in terms of graphics, but the GPU’s that come with Intel processors are slightly inferior to dedicated cards such as GeForce and Radeon (Nvidia and AMD, respectively). One other thing to consider is the final price: your specs may approach a grand (if thought carefully).

Here are some components I’d like to suggest (based on reviews published on various websites and on retailers such as Newegg):

·         Operating system: Depends (Windows 10 Home is good, but I’d like to suggest Windows 10 Pro). Windows 10 Home is set to install any updates.

·         Processor: Intel Core I5 6400, 6500, 6600, I7 6700. Core I7 have hyper-threading enabled (process two threads at once for a total of eight), and all four processors are quad-core.

·          RAM: 16 GB DDR-4 (Double Data Rate 4th generation) from reputable vendors such as Crucial, Corsair, Kingston and others (Kingston is good and so is Corsair).

·         Motherboard: Any motherboard from Gigabyte, Asus and others supporting the 6th generation Intel Core processors (termed “skylake”). Motherboard choice also depends on a number of things, including number of expansion slots, USB port specs and so on.

·         Storage: At least 250 GB SSD from Samsung, Intel and others (Samsung Evo and Pro series are highly recommended). For larger file storage, at least a terabyte from Western Digital or Seagate would be good (Western Digital is one of the most trusted hard drive vendors).

·         Optical drive: These days, optical drives are optional (in the past, at least a DVD drive was recommended). For brands, Asus, LG and others are good (I recommend at least a DVD-RW/Blu-Ray reader if you’d like to install an optical drive).

·          Sound card: Realtech, Creative or Asus (sound cards built into motherboard are common).

·         Video card: Intel HD Graphics (model 530 present on the CPU) is fine for most tasks, but if you want a more decent one, Nvidia GeForce 950 or 960, or AMD Radeon R7 360 or R9 370 should be fine.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2015 1:34 PM

Hi Carlos & Joseph,

For the SSD I was thinking around 300 to 350 GB only because the OS is the only thing to be using this drive.  As far as RAM goes, I am considering 12 to 16 GB, a bit of overkill but, better to have it than not.  The processors I'm considering is either the I-5 or I-7 depending on the cost difference.  I haven't used a AMD processor in a long time so, I don't know how they stack up against the Intel processors.  The soundcard is a real sticky point because I can't get either the Realtek or any other onboard soundcard I've used in the past to keep setting changes I make in the equalizer so, I'm very open to suggestions for this.  Video & ethernet suggestions I'm open to as well.  USB port configuration is another thing I need to consider but, USB port configuration isn't a big deal as long as I make sure I mention this to the builder so this is taken into consideration.  Thank you very much for your input.

Take care.
Mike

Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2015 12:56 PM

If you don't mind paying a bit more than an average 256 GB capacity SSD would normally cost, I would recommend the Samsung 850 Pro.

Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2015 3:39 PM

Hi,

Do you have a firm idea on how much RAM, SSD drive capacity and processor you plan to use? In terms of RAM, I recommend at least 4 GB (8 GB would be good for now), and for SSD capacity, 250 GB would be fine. In regards to processor, it boils down to what you’d like to do with your computer – latest from AMD and Intel should give you satisfactory results (for AMD, any APU’s will work, and for Intel, I recommend at least an I3).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2015 12:34 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] New Computer Components

Howdy Y'all,

I'm seriously considering having a computer built for Windows 10 using a SSD drive for the OS & 1 of the WD Black Max 10,000 rpm drives for data, & want to know if anyone is using 1 of these Black Max drives& how / what you think of this drive.  Also, I'm looking for recommendations of an integrated soundcard that's compatible with Jaws that I can change equalizer settings with.  The RealTech soundcard I'm currently using allows me to change equalizer settings but, I can't get them to stick.  Any other computer components input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Take care.
Mike

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.