Re: deleting old installs of windows question

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

When you upgrade Windows 10, files from the previous version is stored in a file called Windows old, in case you wish to go back to previous version and after a period of time those files are deleted by Windows.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] deleting old installs of windows question

My view is that if the upgrade is working well, don't worry about it.
If you are having problems, I doubt this kind of tinkering will help
and I doubt it can be reasonably done. How would you know what to
look for among all the possible remnants, if any?
Others may know something I don't, but it seems to me that if you are
satisfied, leave things alone. if not, you may have to have a clean
Windows 10. But you don't have to uninstall the upgrade and then
reinstall Windows. Others will, I hope, comment on this, but I
believe there is a reset option in Windows 10 that willl give you a
completely clean Windows 10 just by running the option.

Gene
On 3/28/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
My computer originally came with windows 7 or 8, not sure which one. I took
the option to upgrade ton windows 10 and a friend did it for me.

I heard that an update of windows from an earlier version can still have
traces of the old OS installed on it (broken files, files that direct to
functions that are no longer there)

If this is true, where or how do I uninstall or remove these remnents?

Also, I saw on this list taht when you update jaws, the previous version is
still kept installed, incase you need to go back and use an older version if
the newer version of jaws is well, glitchy.

How would I go about removing the older versions?

Thanks

Keith