Re: deleting old installs of windows question

Gene

The backup process isn't related to whether any remnants exist. I
would expect that although the old version of Windows is backed up,
that there are files used by Windows that are left or that copies of
are placed in the backup file and the originals left in place. You
don't lose programs in an upgrade and some of those programs may need
files such as dll files that the installation placed on the machine
and possibly in the Windows folder, I don't know. But someone with
sufficient technical knowledge will, I hope discuss this. Certainly,
as another example, the Windows 7 registry would have to be somehow
incorporated in Windows 10 because the programs that were installed
while Windows 7 was being used, would almost all have placed entries
in the registry that are necessary for the programs to run.

In short, while the old Windows is backed up, it isn't the case that
those old files are just removed by backing them up. If they were,
you wouldn't have an upgrade. You would have a completely clean
Windows 10 installation and you would have to reinstall all programs.

Someone with more technical knowledge can say if this statement is
correct, but what I think happens is that the old version of Windows
is backed up by copies being made of the files. Then the originals
are used or discarded in the upgrade.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Loy <loyrg2845@gmail.com> wrote:
With a proper windows 10 upgrade from windows, there should not be remnants

left. Windows put all the old Windows 7 files in the windows old file. If
there are programs on Windows that will not run under windows 10, windows
10 upgrade will delete them or ask you to remove them before upgrading.