Re: deleting old installs of windows question

Gene

You keep saying there is a connection between backing up the old files
and remnants in the operating system. There isn't. The backup of
Windows 7, presumably, occurs first, before any changes are made. I
say presumably because it can't be otherwise and make any logical
sense. The previous version of Windows is backed up as it is, not
after changes have been made to the system. Any remnants that may
remain remain as a part of the upgrade itself which logically, doesn't
have any connection to whether anything is backed up.

Backing something up doesn't mean removing anything during the backup.
it means making another copy of something. Again, as the term backup
means, there is no connection between the backup and the upgrade.
they are completely separate operations.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Loy <loyrg2845@gmail.com> wrote:
You said,> but what I think happens is that the old version of Windows
is backed up by copies being made of the files. Then the originals
are used or discarded in the upgrade.
Therefore there should not be remnants.
you said,. You
don't lose programs in an upgrade
You can loose programs during an upgrade from Win 7 to win 10.If there are
programs that are installed on the win 7 that are not compatible with win
10, the upgrade does sometimes will delete them and sometimes the upgrade
will warn you or ask you to delete them before proceeding with the upgrade

____________
When upgrading your Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10, the previous Windows
operating system files are stored to a folder which is called Windows.old.
The folder can be used to roll back Windows 10 to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1
if there is an error after the upgrade. If it goes well, after installing
Windows 10, you also can use this folder to go back to the old system during

the first 30 days. If you continue to use the Windows 10, this folder will
be removed automatically 30 days later.

If you are satisfied with Windows 10 and want to remove Windows 7 after
installing Windows 10, then you can do as the following ways show:

Way 1: In this case, you can choose to delete the Windows.old folder
directly to remove Windows 7. Open the system partition in Windows Explorer

and find the folder to delete.

Way 2: Use Disk Cleanup to uninstall Windows 7 by deleting previous Windows

installation. Do as the following says:

Step 1: Type disk cleanup in the search box of Windows 10 and launch it.

Step 2: When the application is launched, it goes to the drive by default in

which your Windows installation is located. Click OK to scan the drive.

Step 3: In the popup window, click Clean up system files to continue.

Step 4: You need to wait for a while during the process of Windows scanning

files. Then please scroll down the list and check Previous Windows
installation(s) and click OK to delete the files.

When the steps are finished, you can successfully delete Windows 7.