Re: computer and phone games

Ron Canazzi

Hi Grumpy Dave,

You don't sound so grumpy today--must be this festive time of year--with all it's current shortcomings notwithstanding.

In any case, I remember talking to Jim Kitchen.  I called him at his suburban Cleveland Ohio home after I download his DOS program that he mysteriously entitled 'a nifty little3 DOS program.'  When you ran it You got a prompt saying something like: 'This program will reformat your entire hard drive.'  No matter what you replied yes or no, it replied with: 'reformatting in progress, 10% 20% 50%' and so on.  At the end of the process.  It said 'task complete.' and then was silent.  I had to do a double take and run some DOS commands just to make sure the program really didn't
reformat my hard drive.  It was at that point that I called him and when he answered, I laughingly said: 'Jim Kitchen, you have too much time on your hands.  That is a pretty bizarre trick with that nifty little DOS program.'  He burst out laughing and said: 'But do you like my games?'  I said oh yes.'  He said, well then I guess you have to take the good with the bad then.'  And he laughed and I laughed and we discussed other aspects of the games he created.  He was sure a character--in a humorous and affectionate way wasn't he?

On 4/11/2020 6:49 AM, Dave wrote:
Thanks for this Link.  It has been a while since I have played Jim's
games.    There for a while, he and I spoke with one another by phone
just to Chat.

He was quite a guy.

This entire package was over 90 MB in size.

I couldn't help but remember back in my early days of logging into
Bulletin Boards in the mid to late 1980's.  Think I had a 1200 Baud
Modem, and to download one third of a single MB would have taken the
better part of an hour!

My second machine only had a 10 MB size HD!  A Single MP3 song file
could have taken up the entire space on that drive!

Then I bought a 2400 baud modem and thought I was really cutting Edge then!

We've come a long way Baby!

I just download that 90 MB sized file in about 25 seconds!

Thanks for the Link.

Grumpy Dave

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.