Re: Jaws, NVDA & Google Chrome

Walter Ramage

Hi  Thanks, that is helpful.  My internet useage is basic; browsing, file downloading and on line banking etc.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 12 April 2020 23:20
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Jaws, NVDA & Google Chrome

Browsing is browsing with any browser that supports the Virtual PC Cursor, as JAWS calls it, or browse mode, as NVDA calls it.  If you want to change settings, the interfaces of the browsers are different from Internet Explorer, but just for browsing, you will use all the same commands you have been using if you use JAWS of whatever version and if you use NVDA, all or just about all the browsing commands will be identical.  I don’t know if your version of JAWS works with Firefox.  Firefox went through internal changes ;perhaps a year ago and I don’t know if your version of JAWS is compatible with it.  If it isn’t, when you open Firefox, you will get a message that you need to upgrade JAWS, whatever it says, that’s what it amounts to.  But you needn’t worry about using NVDA with whatever browser you want, for just browsing, there will be very little to learn.  You may want to learn screen-reader commands such as read current line, read title bar, that command is the same in JAWS and NVDA, and perhaps a small number of others, such as controling the speaking speed and such commands but if you want to use JAWS in general and NVDA for browsing, if you don’t want to learn more about NVDA, you don’t have to.

But you may want to.  At some point, you will switch to Windows 10.  You may want to learn NVDA so you can switch whenever you want without learning what you need to know about Windows 10 and the screen-reader at the same time.  That is, of course, if you don’t want to continue using JAWS at that time, and you will have to upgrade JAWS then.

Gene,