Re: Outlook Express installation question

heather albright

I like to keep all my e-mail files backed up; how would I find the storeage folder so I can manually back it up? Thanks, Heather

From: Mike B
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 11:22 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Outlook Express installation question

To my knowledge the Protected Storage component cannot be backed up as an individual file, so to speak.  That's why if the protective storage component gets corrupted for whatever reason Outlook Express needs to be reinstalled.  We've been running the XPRunas version of OE for many years on several different computers running both Windows 7 & 10, and I can only recall 1 time when I had to reinstall OE because of a protected storage component failure.  That 1 time was with an older version many years ago when this Rafail dude was still trying to get the coding right to work with Windows 7, 8 & 10.

Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 9:01 PM

I wanted to know how does one back up the storeage folder incase the windows update erases the program! Thanks Heather

From: Carlos
I'm guessing you used the installer for the last free version.  Sorry there's one minor point I always forget about that installer.  Basically, during
the installation, the Protected Storage component has to be updated.  The Protected Storage component is responsible for remembering account passwords.
Unfortunately, in the installer for the last free version the checkbox which insures the Protected Storage component gets updated is unchecked by default for
some reason.  Just reinstall it and make sure the Protected Storage checkbox is checked.  Don't forget to run the installer as administrator and reboot
after the installation is complete.  After you reboot and run Outlook Express, it will ask for your account passwords one final time, but after that it
should remember them for subsequent sessions.
Carlos