Re: Outlook Express installation question

Mike B

Here you go, this is where you'll find all the folders for backing up your OE files & messages.  There's another way of doing this and I'll post this 2nd method later today:

To find all Identities for OE in Windows10, you need to press Windows key + E, to go to, This PC, then press, Alt + F, then press the letter, O, to open Folder options, then control + tab, to the View tab.  Now tab to the Tree View , arrow down to show hidden files & folders, press the spacebar to turn this on, arrow down to Hide protected operating system files, press the spacebar to turn this off, say Yes to the warning dialogue, tab to apply, press the spacebar, & tab to okay & press the spacebar.  You need to do this so all files & folders will show.

Now press enter on, App data, press enter on, Local, and navigate to, Identities.  In here is where all your identities / email accounts are stored.

Or follow the file path below.

Press enter on the identity you want to work with, then press enter on the Microsoft folder Press enter on the Outlook Express folder, & this is where
you will find all your .DBX files.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 9:28 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Outlook Express installation question

I like to keep all my e-mail files backed up; how would I find the storeage folder so I can manually back it up? Thanks, Heather

Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 11:22 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

To my knowledge the Protected Storage component cannot be backed up as an individual file, so to speak.  That's why if the protective storage component gets corrupted for whatever reason Outlook Express needs to be reinstalled.  We've been running the XPRunas version of OE for many years on several different computers running both Windows 7 & 10, and I can only recall 1 time when I had to reinstall OE because of a protected storage component failure.  That 1 time was with an older version many years ago when this Rafail dude was still trying to get the coding right to work with Windows 7, 8 & 10.

*My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 9:01 PM

I wanted to know how does one back up the storeage folder incase the windows update erases the program! Thanks Heather

Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 7:32 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi Vicki,

In short, Yes, you can run the installer over the top of the existing installation, but I'll let Carlos explain this to you a little better, and here he is!

I'm guessing you used the installer for the last free version.  Sorry there's one minor point I always forget about that installer.  Basically, during
the installation, the Protected Storage component has to be updated.  The Protected Storage component is responsible for remembering account passwords. 
Unfortunately, in the installer for the last free version the checkbox which insures the Protected Storage component gets updated is unchecked by default for
some reason.  Just reinstall it and make sure the Protected Storage checkbox is checked.  Don't forget to run the installer as administrator and reboot
after the installation is complete.  After you reboot and run Outlook Express, it will ask for your account passwords one final time, but after that it
should remember them for subsequent sessions.
Carlos

Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 4:38 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] Outlook Express installation question

Hi,

I am thinking that I need to reinstall my Outlook Express because of a protected storage corruption issue. Can I reinstall the program right over the top of the old one?

Thanks.

Vicki

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.