Re: which browser to choose?

Gene

Anyone who is a significant user of different sites on the Internet should have more than one browser and use it when the one they usually use doesn’t work well or at all on some aspect of a site or the entire site.  For example, I can’t post comments using Chrome on a widely used blogging site.  I can post them using Firefox.  If I only used Chrome and refused to use another browser, I would be unable to comment when I want to.

The same with screen-readers.  As with browsers that support the virtual PC cursor or browse mode, both names for the same thing, screen-readers have developed standardized commands that are almost identical from browser to browser, so too using a different screen-reader for many tasks can be done in the same or almost the same ways.  the majority of commands you use much of the time are program and Windows commands.  You can move from one screen-reader to another and still do much of what you do in the same ways.  There are a small number of commands you need to learn, read to end, read current line, read title bar, how you adjust speech rate, set punctuation level, and perhaps a small number of others but the idea that you must jump through hoops when you use a different screen-reader is just plain wrong and it leads to people not using their computers to the best advantage.

From: Richard
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 8:48 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] which browser to choose?

This may be true, but consider this:
The web experience will vary from system to system, browser to browser, and
the same for screen readers.
In other words, 2 users of the same version of Windows, Internet Explorer,
and Jaws may experience different results on the same website.
I have seen this first-hand on different systems of my own as well as
others,
so the user may want to  have more  than one web browser, and more than one
version of their favorite screen-reader.
I compare it to tools, one screwdriver will not work on all screws,
so you have different ones to fit different situations.
There is no cure-all, but there are work-arounds.
Just my opinion.

HTH,
Rick