Re: NVDA, read current line and read all

Walter Ramage

Hi.  Yes, I am using the desktop layout.  When I launch NVDA then I have the option in the dialogue to use the caps lock as the NVDA key but I haven't done that yet.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 15 April 2020 23:44
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] NVDA, read current line and read all

You can’t use insert numpad down arrow.  NVDA reserves the numpad for screen review.  Use insert with the main keyboard down arrow.

I’m assuming you are using the default desktop layout.  If you changed it, let us know.

Also, you can have the caps lock function as an NVDA key.  If you do, you will have insert and caps lock function as NVDA keys if you are using the desktop layout.  I don’t use the laptop layout and I’m not sure.

But I find it much mpore pleasant to use caps lock down arrow for read to end.  If you want to know how to make the caps lock key an NVDA key, let us know.

Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 3:07 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] NVDA, read current line and read all

Hi folks.  I've decided to dip my toe in the NVDA world but only a little bit at the moment but before I submerge my big toe I'd like some help with something.

In Jaws to read the current line I press insert plus up arrow.  To read all, insert and down arrow.

Now I tried the same in NVDA but although insert up arrow read current line, insert down arrow also read current line, it didn't read all.

I got more if I scrolled down but NVDA repeated every blank line with the announcement "blank."

How can I correct this so insert up arrow reads current line, insert down arrow reads all and every blank line is silent.  Help appreciated, thank you.  Walter.