Re: Welcome (back) iPhone SE?

Shelly Kane

I'm very excited for this lunch.  I have had mine for over 3 years and it has worked great.  In fact, I'm ordering mine tomorrow from Verizon.  I'm getting mine right away because I need more memory.  I was thinking of getting an eight until I heard on the news that this one is finally being launched.  These will go quickly.

Shelly

On 4/16/2020 4:43 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. wrote:
Welcome (back) iPhone SE — but did Apple just cannibalize itself?

Don't judge an iPhone by its cover... Remember iPhone SE? It's that little
rectangle which you could actually operate one-handedly without spraining a
finger.
Apple
released it in 2016, then stopped selling it in 2018. Now, it's shockingly
resurrecting iPhone SE for 2020, starting at the (relatively) lower price of
$399.

list of 2 items
• Looks: Pretty much the same as the iPhone 8 — a 4.7-inch screen with a
frame around it and a home button with Touch ID. The real change lies on the
inside...
• Specs: Better camera equipped with 4K video and portrait mode. Also boasts
a more powerful processor with the new A13 Bionic chip (sounds legit). Apple

says
it put "the brains" of iPhone 11 Pro in the body of SE.
list end

What interested us most was the timing of this launch... Given the COVID-19
crisis, this might not seem like the best time to ship a new product. Apple
thinks it's a great time:

list of 2 items
• With the economy in shambles, it makes sense to introduce a lower-cost
phone. The new SE is $200 cheaper than the next "cheapest" iPhone (and many
Android
models). A low-cost, high-performance phone could thrive right now.
• With most Apple stores closed, people can't try before they buy. Buying
iPhones online becomes more attractive with a lower price and newer product

Apple's trying to drive excitement for online orders with this launch
(people get hyped on pre-orders).
list end
THE TAKEAWAY

Is Apple cannibalizing itself?... Cannibalization occurs when a new product
is so irresistible it steals sales from your other (often higher-priced)
products.
Tesla's Model 3 stole sales from its Model S. But Apple probably did a lot
of research on this risk and decided that:

• More Upgrades: iPhone users might be more likely to upgrade from their old
phones after the launch of SE, with that volume covering lost sales from
pricier
models.
• More Market Share: With this lower-priced option, Apple might convert some
Androiders —
Google
's Android still controls
70%
of the world's cell phones.
• But if fancy new iPhone users change to the lower-priced SE instead,
that's a problem for Apple.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado