Re: Using Braille displays on the job?

Pamela Dominguez

When I was on the job, it was in the early 1990s, and I used a keybraille, which was a 40 cell braille display that functioned with dos. When I took the computer home after that, I was used to the braille display and liked to have it. When I learned windows in the beginning of 2000, I had to get used to not having one. In about 2012, I bought an Alva BC640. I have a different computer now, and I don't remember all that stuff about using the Alva propperly, and how to hook it up correctly to this newer computer. When I do, the computer sound comes through the speaker on the braille display. There was a way to not have it do that, but I forgot a lot of how to set it up correctly and use it. Pam. Pam.

-----Original Message-----
From: Susie Stageberg
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2020 12:35 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Using Braille displays on the job?

Sharon,

I'm retired, but when I worked at the Iowa Library for the Blind, I used a
Braille display when I was in our circulation software looking up people's
accounts so I could help them get the books they wanted. I had an 80-cell
display, as I needed to see the whole line of someone's data. Often I had
the patron on the phone in my ears, so I used Braille on the computer. I
couldn't have done my job as efficiently without the Braille. Now that I'm
home, I bought myself a 40-cell display; I find that on the Internet it is
often helpful to have the Braille, and it helps with filling out forms and
checking boxes and such.

HTH.

Susie

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt