Re: check disk still will not run on startup

Gene

We don’t know if the corrupt files are a separate issue.  If you are using Windows 10, I’ll wait to see what other people say about how to run the DOS prompt.  And you have to run it with administrative priveleges to run chkdsk.  Windows 7 instructions, which I could give might not be the same in one or two ways.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] check disk still will not run on startup

Gene, I absolutely do want these disk check instructions. You were right, by the way, about system restore. I had tried running it and it says it can't because of some corrupt files. But yes if you can walk me through how to run check disk with this command I would very much appreciate it.

Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:04 AM

While I don’t know if not being able to run chkdsk makes running system restore more dangerous, it may not be a good idea until you get more discussion. 

The best way to run chkdsk without having it fix anything is to use the DOS prompt.  You will have speech throughout and you can see on the screen at the end, what was found and not fixed.  If all you find is that there are some errors such as unused disk space, I’ve always found that when I run chkdsk in this way and after I’ve run it in repair mode, I’ve still found the same errors.  I’ve never had any problems as a result. 

If you want instructions on running chkdsk from the DOS prompt, ask here. 

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 9:06 AM

Have you tried checking the disk without rebooting just to see what it does? Whether or not it will actually run or not because this will give more information to see what might be the problem.

Check out the site below and see if any of the various 5 ideas help. The one that I was thinking was you trying a simple System Restore which is the second suggestion on the site below.

CHKDSK Not Working in Windows 10/8/7? Fix It Now!:

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/chkdsk-not-working.html

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of joanne
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2020 8:33
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] check disk still will not run on startup

I have been having this annoying problem for weeks and wonder now if I might be better off trying to find some kind of check disk tool if one is available. I schedule it and have used the command prompt at times since I thought that might be even better than going to C drive and properties and scheduling it. Oh I've done that too, by the way, and after numerous normal startups I know it's definitely not checking the disk. I also have it set to repair sectors because I do suspect the hard drive has some sector problems. So it should take a lot longer for the computer to start. But it goes right into a normal boot, and also sfc /scannow won't complete because resource protection won't let it. Please help if you know of any advanced tools or things I can try. Using Jaws 2019 and 2020 and windows 7.

Thank you.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.