Re: outlook express 6

Mike B

Hi Heather,

I'm sure there's a way for you to create separate identities from the existing accounts, but I'll be damned if I know how!  LOL  It's been a long time since I've been down this road.  Try looking in the File menu under Identities to see what hoptions you have.  If you need some help contact me off list.
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2020 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] outlook express 6

Do I need to create my accounts again? I already have all this set up. Is there away to just separate the accounts with what I have already set up? Just wondering before I follow your excellent instructions! So what I mean is do I have to start over in putting my info in and start up as knew! cheers Heather
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 2:19 PM

Yes, you make 2 identities and then each will be separate of the other.  Here's how:
Creating an identity in Outlook Express
While in Outlook Express, do the following:

1. Press Alt f, for the file menu, then D, for identities.
2. The first selection will be spoken, add new identity..., press enter.
3. When this dialogue opens, you will be in an edit field, where you can type your name.
The name you type here will be the one shown in the list of identities when Outlook Express opens each time.
4. Tab once, and you will be in a password edit field, which is optional.
If you enter a password for the identity, you will have to enter this password each time you wish to access the identity.
If you enter a password, tab once, and you will need to confirm the password by typing it again.
5. Now, tab to the okay button, and press the spacebar.
6. You will get a message telling you that the identity has been added, and asking if you want to switch to that identity,
so you will want to spacebar the yes button, and the internet connection wizard will open.
7. When the wizard opens, you will be in an edit field for your display name.
This is the name that will appear in the, from, field on your outgoing e-mail messages.
Type your name, and tab to the next button, and press the spacebar.
8. In this dialogue, you will type your e-mail address,
and then tab to the next, button, and press the spacebar.
9. In this dialogue, you will be asked for your incoming and outgoing mail servers.
Example:
incoming mail server: pop.att.yahoo.com
outgoing mail server: smtp.att.yahoo.com
You should have this imformation from your Internet service provider.
Enter the imformation, and tab to the next button, and press the spacebar.
10. In this dialogue you will be asked for your account name, and password, provided by your internet service provider.
Enter the imformation, and tab to the next button, and press the spacebar.
11. Here you will get a message telling you that you have entered the necessary imformation, and to click the finish button to save the changes, so press the spacebar.
Now, depending on your internet service provider, and their requirements,
you may need to do a little more to begin recieving e-mail.
12. Press alt T for the tools menu, and then A, for accounts.
13. when this dialogue opens, you will see the account you just created.
So tab to the properties button, and press the spacebar.
14. When this dialogue opens, you will be in an edit field where you can give your server an optional name for your convenience, type aname here if you wish, and then tab once.
15. This is also an edit field containing the display name you chose in the earlier step.
Tab once
16. Here is an optional edit field for an organization name if you wish.
Tab once
17. This edit field contains your e-mail address, so tab once.
18. This field is the return address, and should contain the address to which you want your mail returned.
Typically, this should be the same as the address above. tab once.
19. This checkbox should be checked, then tab once.
20. Now, tab to the apply button, and spacebar it.
21. Now, shift tab once, to place you on the general tab, and then right arrow to the servers tab.
In this dialogue, you will use the tab key to move from one field to the next.
22. The first field simply states what type of incoming mail server you have, such as pop3.
The next field will contain the pop3 server name
The next field will contain the smtp server name.
The next field will contain your account name, which is typically your e-mail address for this particular account.
The next field will contain your account password.
The next item is a checkbox to remember your password, typically, this is checked.
The next item is a checkbox for logging on useing secure password authentication, and is typically not checked.
The next item is a checkbox for, my server requires secure authentication,
and depending on your internet service provider, may need to be checked.
If so, check it with the spacebar, then tab once.
23. Now you should be on the settings button, so press the spacebar, to open the next dialogue.
24. in this dialogue, you will need to enter the settings provided by your internet service provider,
 and then tab to the okay button, and press the spacebar.
25. Now, tab to the apply button, and press the spacebar.
26. depending on your internet service provider's requirements, you may need to do the following:
26a.  shift tab once, and then right arrow to the advanced tab.
26b. In this dialogue, you will need to set the port numbers given by your internet service provider,
and make sure that the checkboxes for, this server requires a secure connection, are checked
if stated by your internet service provider.
26c. Tab to the okay button, and press the spacebar.
You should land on the properties button again, so tab to the close button, and press the spacebar.
You are done.

*My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 12:09 PM

Ah yes I only seem to have one identity. So it groups both my accounts in to one big folder instead of separating my accounts so all my mail for my home acount is not in the same folder as my personal folder. Is there away to change it so one account goes in one spot and the other in another?  I cant seem to remember how this was done when I had express in the past. Thank you for all your help! Cheers Heather
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 12:32 PM

Hi Heather,

Here's how to change the name of an identity if you desire to do so:
1. Press Alt + F for the file menu.
2. Press the letter D to open identities, or arrow up to identities and press enter.
3. Arrow down to manage identities and press enter.
4. Arrow up or down to the identity you want to change the name of.
5. Tab to properties, press the spacebar to open the edit field, delete / backspace out the existing name, type in the new name, tab to okay , press spacebar, & tab to close and press enter.

Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 9:45 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] outlook express 6

Hello, how do you get your accounts separate like work or personal. I set them up but, I had one as the default I thought and it will not go to the second account. So I should have 2  identities . But, it is not showing like this in the tab order. Any ideas? Thanks very much! Heather

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.