Re: keeping my external drive from going to sleep

Norma A. Boge

Ok, I must be missing something. I backup every 12 hours to an external drive. So am I supposed to only backup to the cloud?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, May 1, 2020 4:02 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] keeping my external drive from going to sleep

Also, with encryption malware, it isn't good practice to keep a hard drive connected to your computer that has bacup copies of files on it. Any file connected to your computer will be encrypted by encryption malware.

Until you backup things, in a completely separate way, such as on a second hard drive you only connect for backing things up or recovering files, I would suggest disconnecting the hard drive when not in use and to keep a copy of anything on it you don't want to lose, even if you have a copy already on your computer. If you have room to keep everything on both drives, then things will be backed up. But if the drive is connected, encryption will encrypt everything on your internal and external drives. If you don't have enough room, then anything you have only one copy of won't be backed up.