Re: Electronic keyboards

Damien Garwood <damien@...>

Hi Walter,
Just a few points I forgot to put in my last message.
The Tyros 5 was around 3800 new but because it's a discontinued model you could probably get it cheaper. I believe you can get it as a 61 or 76 key.
The Juno DS model is under 1000, but, based on the sounds of the Juno-G, I'm going to bet that the DS sounds are even better, and I believe those come as 61, 76, and 88 key varieties.
I believe these keyboards don't come with internal speakers, so you'll have to get some external monitors or whatever. The Tyros does have its own speakers which you can either buy separately or as a keyboard/speaker package.
The Tyros is considered a workstation and the Juno I believe is a synth, so both have their advantages and disadvantages (Tyros is better at sampled instruments). Both work with MIDI via USB.
Unfortunately, these keyboards don't have any forms of real accessibility built in, but they do use buttons and knobs to do things, and for the most basic things you need only press one or two buttons. The more complicated things (like internal audio recorder/midi sequencer/song finder etc) you would need to memorise menus and so on.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 11/05/2020 05:13 pm, Walter Ramage via groups.io wrote:
Hi All.  It has been about 38 years since I had an electronic keyboard. It was a JVC and even back then it cost me £1000 new.  It was an easy keyboard to use because it had physical buttons to select the various functions and had loads of features.  It has been a long time but if my memory serves me correct it was a 4.5 or 5 octive single manual.
Now about 38 years on it has crossed my mind that it might be interesting to purchase a new keyboard.  The problem is I've not kept up with musical keyboards, either single or double manual so I don't know how technology has impacted on them.  I imagine that most if not all functions are accessed via touch screen or maybe a phone app.
Does anybody have any opinion or information on modern-day electronic keyboards?
Now for your information, I don't do cheap so the £150 Yamaha  keyboard one might buy their kids for Christmas is not what I would be looking for but something more professional or semi-professional but it would need to be accessible.  At the moment a keyboard isn't on my buy list but if I can get info about one that isn't in the 10's of thousands of pounds then I might find my interest grow.  Way back those 38 years the keyboards of quality were JVC or Roland and Casio and Yamaha  were a rung or two down the ranking ladder although in the 90's my uncle got a Yamaha that sounded rather good.  I am here thinking of a single manual as I don't know if I have the space to fit a double manual in here. Any information or opinions appreciated.  Walter.