Re: Electronic keyboards

Walter Ramage

Hi.  On another list somebody recommended the Yamaha Juno wich apparently has that facility, that is accessability via a Usb drive.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mich Verrier
Sent: 11 May 2020 23:25
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Electronic keyboards

I also have a related question as well. Are there any keybords that are good sounding but rellitivley cheep? I am looking at around the 300 or 400 raige? Since a keybord that costs up to 2 or 3 thousend is way way out of my price rainge. Also accesibillidey would be a good thig to know about as well. I remember reading about a keybord somewhere that you could get with a optinal thumb drive witch once plugd into the keybord it would make everything accessible using speech bu I forget what name or make that was. I want to say Yamaha or something but I could be wrong. From Mich.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Donald Roberts
Sent: May 11, 2020 6:21 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Electronic keyboards

I have a related question.  Of all electronic keyboards, is there any which can produce a reasonable facsimile of that wonderful Hammond B2 sound?

Thanks.

Don Roberts

On 5/11/2020 11:31 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

If you subscribe to the MIDI-Mag email list, you'll get probably more answers than you might know what to do with (LOL), so I'll start you off with this:

Just over two years ago, Casio came out with the CTX700 line of single-manual keyboards. There is nothing built or programmed into these keyboards that's particularly accessible--no speech, no key clicks, etc.--but with a little memorization of a few things, you'll figure out how to get around the system quickly I'm sure.

But above and beyond how easy these are to use, it's really all about how they sound. Here's a short demo that lets you hear a lot of the machine's bread-and-butter sounds, and here's another longer and more advanced demo where there's very little you don't get to hear.

To be fair, there are probably other manufacturers that offer similar gear. The only reason I mentioned this make and model is because it's what I know just a little about, and I've listened to many YouTube videos about it. There are people who are brand-loyal, and maybe Casio isn't their brand; there are those who don't like a specific manufacturer's sound, and that's fine, too. I offer the preceding links as information only.

On 5/11/2020 12:13 PM, Walter Ramage via groups.io wrote:

Hi All.  It has been about 38 years since I had an electronic keyboard.  It was a JVC and even back then it cost me £1000 new.  It was an easy keyboard to use because it had physical buttons to select the various functions and had loads of features.  It has been a long time but if my memory serves me correct it was a 4.5 or 5 octive single manual.

Now about 38 years on it has crossed my mind that it might be interesting to purchase a new keyboard.  The problem is I've not kept up with musical keyboards, either single or double manual so I don't know how technology has impacted on them.  I imagine that most if not all functions are accessed via touch screen or maybe a phone app.

Does anybody have any opinion or information on modern-day electronic keyboards?

Now for your information, I don't do cheap so the £150 Yamaha  keyboard one might buy their kids for Christmas is not what I would be looking for but something more professional or semi-professional but it would need to be accessible.  At the moment a keyboard isn't on my buy list but if I can get info about one that isn't in the 10's of thousands of pounds then I might find my interest grow.  Way back those 38 years the keyboards of quality were JVC or Roland and Casio and Yamaha  were a rung or two down the ranking ladder although in the 90's my uncle got a Yamaha that sounded rather good.  I am here thinking of a single manual  as I don't know if I have the space to fit a double manual in here.  Any information or opinions appreciated.  Walter.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.