Re: Question: Comparing Performance of Modern 8th, 9th or 10th gen I5 vs I7 Intel Chips

Mary Smith

Gene, I'd likeĀ  to make a comment regarding the cost of Dell pc's since I got mine about six months ago. I can tell you that their prices are good. However, if someone was going to insist on getting a machine with 16 gb of ram, the price would increase a lot and in my opinion, its not worth spending the extra money.

On 2020-05-22 9:34 p.m., Gene wrote:

To clarify, I'm not saying performance would be roughly equivalent if she were a demanding user. There may be no way to get this person to change her mind if, for some reason, she Is determined to get what she wants. If she wants to spend hundreds of dollars for performance she will never use, get a sports car when a compact would do fine, that Is her decision. Performance will be fine for what she is going to use the computer for, I would expect it to be about the same.

Extended warranties are generally a waste of money for computers. If nothing goes wrong within the first few months and the computer is used a good deal during that time, the odds are that nothing will or nothing serious for years. To document what I'm saying, if you do a search for somethin like is extended warranty worth getting for computer, you will see result after result saying generally not. I saw one or two saying that it might be worth it if you anticipate placing a lptop in situations where damage is likely but in general, I didn't see one of the first six or seven results advising people to get one.

The person may, of course, spend money in any way she wants. I am trying to save her perhaps hundreds of dollars. She definitely doesn't need more than 8gb of RAM and her uses are, by today's standards, very undemanding of computer power.

I more or less discussed my thoughts before but I'm expanding them to discuss other things such as the warranty. I don't recall if you discussed memory before, but the majority of users will never use 16GB of RAM and she won't ever come anywhere nere exceeding 8 if she uses the computer as described.

My concern isn't particularly whether she gets a Del, since I don't know how their prices compare with other brands. My concern is that, whatever she gets, she for some reason has ideas of what she wants that bear no relation to what she needs and may well cost her hundreds of extra dollars.

Of course, if she is determined to get what she wants, that's up to her.