Re: accessible washers and dryers

Gerald Levy

There are two types of front loaders in the laundry room of my building.  The regular size front loaders take about 25 minutes, while the jumbo front loaders take about 35 minutes.  We used to have top loaders with agitators that took about 20 minutes, but they broke down constantly, and could not hold a very large load and so they were replaced by front loaders which are larger and are supposed to be more reliable.  And they're made by Maytag, the "dependability people". But even though they are supposedly dependable, they are certainly not very accessible because they have touchpad controls, which, of course, cannot be labeled with tactile markers because they are the property of the landlord. And the laundry card vending machine is not accessible, either.

Gerald

On 5/27/2020 3:58 PM, joseph hudson wrote:
Gerald, I don't know how long it's been since you've been to a laundromat, but I went to a laundromat and I used a commercial washer. And I was done within a matter of 25 minutes. My regular front loader does take longer is it doesn't have the power that a regular commercial washer does.
On May 27, 2020, at 11:03 AM, Gerald Levy via groups.io <bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Very simple. A front loader spins the clothes around at high speed to get them clean. This is how all commercial washers work. It takes longer than a top loader, but front loaders, because they don't have an agitator, can handle larger loads. Have you ever seen a top loader in a commercial laudromat? Also, a front loader allows a dryer to be stacked on top to save floor space. The only advantages of top loaders are that they are usually less expensive than front loaders and they usually have a shorter wash cycle time.

Gerald

On 5/27/2020 11:42 AM, Jan Howells wrote:
Without an agitator, how do the clothes get clean?