Re: How do I unzip files with Windows 10?

Angelo Sonnesso

7 zip will extract just about anything, including .iso images.

73 N2DYN Angelo

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pamela Dominguez
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 5:19 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How do I unzip files with Windows 10?

Yes.  That’s actually why I got it.  Before, I was just using the windows unzip utility, but then I got a rar file I had to unzip.  Pam.

Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 6:12 AM

Will 7 zip extract rar files?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Smiling?
Sent: May 28, 2020 7:09 AM

Just install 7Zip from Ninite.com where nothing else will be installed hidden or not, and 7Zip will allow you to unzip/decompress many different formats.

Unzipping/Decompressing Instructions after 7Zip is installed.

You would just highlight whichever file it is that you’re interested in unzipping/decompressing and then using your Applications key (or Shift+F10) hit the number 7 and this will open up the 7Zip menu options to unzip.

Just arrow to either

Extract Here or,

Extract to whichever folder name created by the name of the file you are extracting and press Enter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Fanus
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 2:44

Hello Gene

I am sorry but you are wrong on this one. An earlier version of win10 could do what you suggest but it was taken out by a later win10 update. When I now press the application key I just get Winzip which is not free and another one that one also has to buy. I do not know if this is true for other users of windows 10 but it is like that on my pc.

Regards

Fanus

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 4:51 AM

It has one.  I don't know what it extracts, MP3 certainly.  I don't have Windows 10 but its very likely to be the same as in Windows 7 to extract files. 

Be on the file name.  Open the context menu. 

Down arrow to extract all and press enter.

A wizard will open with perhaps two dialogs before extraction.  If you have questions or problems using them, let us know.  Unless you change what will happen by default, files will be extracted to a folder, created in the folder you are in.  For example, if the name of the zip file is Sixties Music.zip a folder will be created in the folder where the zip folder is with that name and all the extracted files in it.

All you need do to have this happen is press the next button perhaps twice. 

7zip is a popular third party extraction program but if you don't need it, the Windows extractor works well.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:41 PM

To: main

Subject: [TechTalk] How do I unzip files with Windows 10?

Does Windows 10 have a built-in file extractor or do I need to get
one?  Either way, could someone post instructions on how I would unzip
files and what accessible software works best please?

Thanks!

Peter

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.