Re: Looking for NIMH battery charger advice

Gerald Levy

My DuraCell charger is so compact that it emits no hum or other noise, and doesn't even have a power cord.  It has a retractible plug and a compartment that holds one or two pairs of AA or AAA batteries and nothing else.  I think it has an LED charge indicator, and that's it.  If you want to be sure that your rechargeable batteries last a long time, buy Panasonic Eneloop batteries, which have consistently received top ratings.  I have four Eneloop AAA batteries which I use in my Sony AM/FM Walkman, which provide many hours of service on a single charge, and have been going strong for more than five years. I have two pairs of DuraCell rechargeable batteries which I use for my Philips Sonicare Power Up electric toothbrush, and they last over a month before they need to be recharged.  I hate those expensive electric toothbrushes that require separate charging stands that take up counter space and only last two or three years before they die and have to be replaced.

Gerald

On 6/10/2020 12:40 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know how chargers work technically these days.  In the old days, you could put your ear next to a charger and the hum would be different if the batteries are charging.  It would be a rougher sound.  Also, as I said, there are light detectors.

I had a charger where there was nothing wrong with the batteries and it is very unlikely there is anything wrong with any of yours.  But for some reason, the contacts didn't make proper contact with some of the batteries as I continued to use the charger.  I put the batteries in the charger, and would turn one or more batteries until I heard the charger make a different charging hum when I put my ear to it.  I think I would listen, turn, again put my ear to the charger, turn if necessary, etc.  It may have been annoying to hear the sound of turning the batteries with my ear touching the charger so I would listen, move my ear away, turn one or more batteries, and so on.  And of course, using a light detector would accomplish the same thing.

Also, in case of unexpected problems, it would be a good idea to keep a set of alcaline batteries of the kinds you use so that, if unexpectedly necessary, you can use nonrechargeable batteries. These batteries keep their charge a long time, about two years.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Steven Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 9:53 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Looking for NIMH battery charger advice

But what if one of my batteries has gone bad and the charger is flashing to indicate that a battery is not charging and I needed them to record a meeting?  I have just charged my batteries for 6 hours in vain, and do not have functioning batteries for my recorder.  If someone definitely knows of a charger that indicates when charging is complete with an audible notification, that information would be welcome.  Thanks everyone.