Re: How do I unzip files with Windows 10?

Sharon S

Hi, my windows 10 laptop doesn’t have an extract all option in the applications menu either.

I followed the suggestion from another list member and removed VLC media player. Once that was removed the extract all option was back in the menu. So it is something to do with VLC which is removing this option.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, 28 May 2020 10:14 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How do I unzip files with Windows 10?

Which doesn't mean I am wrong.  All we know at this point is that that is what happened on your single computer.  I see no logical reason that Microsoft would have taken out the unarchive utility that has been in Windows going back as far as XP and given the number of people who used the Windows utility, lists like this would have had an avalanche of inquiries if it had disappeared.  If enough people confirm that it happened to them as well as you, then it may be that Microsoft removed it.  At this time, I have no reason to believe it was anything more than a fault in how the Windows Update ran on your specific machine.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 4:43 AM

Hello Gene

I am sorry but you are wrong on this one. An earlier version of win10 could do what you suggest but it was taken out by a later win10 update. When I now press the application key I just get Winzip which is not free and another one that one also has to buy. I do not know if this is true for other users of windows 10 but it is like that on my pc.

Regards

Fanus

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 4:51 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

It has one.  I don't know what it extracts, MP3 certainly.  I don't have Windows 10 but its very likely to be the same as in Windows 7 to extract files. 

Be on the file name.  Open the context menu. 

Down arrow to extract all and press enter.

A wizard will open with perhaps two dialogs before extraction.  If you have questions or problems using them, let us know.  Unless you change what will happen by default, files will be extracted to a folder, created in the folder you are in.  For example, if the name of the zip file is Sixties Music.zip a folder will be created in the folder where the zip folder is with that name and all the extracted files in it.

All you need do to have this happen is press the next button perhaps twice. 

7zip is a popular third party extraction program but if you don't need it, the Windows extractor works well.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:41 PM

To: main

Subject: [TechTalk] How do I unzip files with Windows 10?

Does Windows 10 have a built-in file extractor or do I need to get
one?  Either way, could someone post instructions on how I would unzip
files and what accessible software works best please?

Thanks!

Peter

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.